News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 02:07:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Evil Eye a.k.a Jagan (Facts and Discussions)

Poll
Question: What's your fav Evil Eye moment?
Episode 2 - Evil Eye to Ginji - 2 (6.7%)
Episode 7 - Saving Madoka - 6 (20%)
Episode 15 - Making a fool out of Emishi - 1 (3.3%)
Episode 21 - Scaring the daylights out of  Kagami - 7 (23.3%)
Episode 25 - Evil Eye to Makubex - 8 (26.7%)
Episode 28 - Recovering Memory - 1 (3.3%)
Episode 34 - Evil eye to Old Man & Hiskiki - 2 (6.7%)
Episode 42 - Saving Paul and his Friend - 0 (0%)
Episode 45 - Farewell Gift to Fudou - 3 (10%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Evil Eye a.k.a Jagan (Facts and Discussions)  (Read 840 times)
Midou

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2010, 04:19:07 am »

Fact:
The Evil Eye has existed in several Cultures and traditions. You can read more about it here: http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/e/evil_eye.html
Ban's Grandmother who's a witch passed on that Ability to his Grandson. In Europe during the Middle Ages witches were said to give anyone who crossed them the evil eye. Also they were thought to be able to bewitch their convicting judges with it, and this was why they were made to walk backwards toward the judges.

Special power:
So what's really special about the Evil Eye? It's special because it's made special by Yuya Aoki. Normally in other Anime you only get to see a special move as a Battle technique. You just see it as a mere spectator, an outside viewer. But the Evil Eye is different. Not only do the characters in the Anime get affected by the Evil Eye, but the Audience get the Evil Eye too. You never know if you're caught in the Evil Eye, or not... just like the other characters in GB. That's the reason why Ban is always looking at YOU at the end of the Evil eye, since you are also the victim... how cool is that?  Cool I don't think any Anime has this sort of power, and most probably Naruto series ripped off Evil Eye and downgraded it to.. whatever it's called.

Anyway, what's your fav Evil Eye Moment? There has to be a moment which made you look just like the Anime characters who got hit by the Evil Eye. The expressions on their faces after they realize it are always priceless.

I so wish there is an option to vote on more than one choice. I dunno what to vote on since most of them are favs.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:35:33 am by Midou » Report Spam   Logged

Getbackers FAQ & Download: http://anime.forumlivre.com/?showtopic=2

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:49:15 am »

Well, I voted for Episode 25, because that whole thing of Ban faking his final use for the day of the evil eye to make it seem he had been stabbed, and then hauling it out to defeat the unsuspecting Makubex, was really cool -- even though the viewer knew he hadn't really used it, it was still a surprise in how effectively Ban found his moment and used it.

If I could have voted twice, I would have chosen Episode 2, where he uses it on Ginji.   Cool
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:36:24 pm »

I chose the same choice! I was soo surprised by that climax...that I was dumbified til the end of next episode! It was one spectacular moment! I would never forget that moment!
Report Spam   Logged
Midou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:03:24 am »

Yeah, even though the viewer knew it was coming, it was awesome. They also changed that Evil Eye in the Anime. The manga's Evil Eye was lame when compared to the Anime. It was set in the school, but in the Anime it really focuses on Makubex, his goal and the infinity fortress.
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:00:14 am »

I definitely agree with there! Grin It was ten times more dramatic and exciting than manga was!  I actually never read the GB manga before I started watching the series...I discover waaaay back then. It was time anime and manga was rarity! Finding them was such pain! Anime was such much easier to find than manga!
Report Spam   Logged
gupita

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:21:44 pm »

I really didn`t like the evil eye in anime, i prefer it in the manga especially in the last chapters, but if i have to vote for one it'll be with fudou  Smiley
It was his "Farawell gift" Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Midou

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:18:19 pm »

Last chapters? You've roughly gone through the Raws? If yes then forget I asked.. Everyone hates spoilers.   Smiley

The Evil Eye in the Anime was thought out greatly compared to the manga. Be it in Episode 2(in the manga it was so obvious) or Episode 25(EE to Makubex).
Report Spam   Logged

darkido

Peace<:

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 02:36:47 pm »

That will be when he used the Evil eye on Fudou during his first mission with ginji? Ingenious use of evil eye with the blinding light of ginji...
Report Spam   Logged
Midou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 01:29:31 am »

No no.. this is the Anime section. The farewell gift was Ban's evil eye to foudou when he was about to die.
Report Spam   Logged

Valyard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 09:16:10 am »

First I love Midou's description of the evil eye, and the audience being the victim. I never thought of it that way. That's a really good point. Thank you for putting up ep 7 saving Madoka on your list.
That one rocks because it shows how clever Ban really is tricking Shido and saving it until the right moment. Especially when you think about how many of the early villians think "Oh, if I get Ban Midou to use all 3 Jagan's right away I'll be fine." No, no you won't.
Report Spam   Logged
smokingman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 11:02:31 am »

I voted ep 7 just like Valyard, and because in that episode he's scary for both Shido and Kazuki.
Report Spam   Logged
underkill22

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 12:10:40 pm »

Hmmm.... if I would pick it would probably be the time ban used his evil eye on Kagami~!! Tongue I bet I would scream if I looked in a mirror to see I've turned into a girl~!! Tongue Plus to get strangled by ur reflection.... after that zomg @.@ Epic nightmare~!! Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 12:45:12 pm »

Hmmm.... if I would pick it would probably be the time ban used his evil eye on Kagami~!! Tongue I bet I would scream if I looked in a mirror to see I've turned into a girl~!! Tongue Plus to get strangled by ur reflection.... after that zomg @.@ Epic nightmare~!! Tongue

Thank you! Finally someone who voted for the same option as me.  Wink

This instance, I liked it because I usually am able to actually tell when the Evil Eye has been used, like when certain supernatural mind srewy things happen. But this time... I had a hard time wrapping it around my head if it was the Evil Eye (namely because Ban wasn't anywhere to be seen until he demasked himself), or if it was something with the virtual world program that had gone wrong. Remember how it was stated that your mind makes everything in Infinity Fortress real? And how Himiko was cursing Kagami and saying that she would come back from the grave and bite his head off? For a moment, I thought that was the case. I never considered Himiko being dead, but that her death wish was so strong that the virtual program made it come true but only for Kagami.... Ehr, or something.  Lips Sealed
Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
Midou

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:55:07 pm »

First I love Midou's description of the evil eye, and the audience being the victim. I never thought of it that way. That's a really good point.
Thanks Valyard. I figured it out after noticing that Ban always is looking at you when the Evil Eye ends. Yuya Aoki  is awesome for making it like this. It creates unpredictability without going Deus-ex Machina like most Anime does.

Code:
That one rocks because it shows how clever Ban really is tricking Shido and saving it until the right moment. Especially when you think about how many of the early villians think "Oh, if I get Ban Midou to use all 3 Jagan's right away I'll be fine." No, no you won't.
Yup.. you said it beautifully.

Hmmm.... if I would pick it would probably be the time ban used his evil eye on Kagami~!! Tongue I bet I would scream if I looked in a mirror to see I've turned into a girl~!! Tongue Plus to get strangled by ur reflection.... after that zomg @.@ Epic nightmare~!!
The reaction on kagami's face when he comes out of it EE is priceless.

Code:
This instance, I liked it because I usually am able to actually tell when the Evil Eye has been used, like when certain supernatural mind srewy things happen. But this time... I had a hard time wrapping it around my head if it was the Evil Eye (namely because Ban wasn't anywhere to be seen until he demasked himself), or if it was something with the virtual world program that had gone wrong. Remember how it was stated that your mind makes everything in Infinity Fortress real? And how Himiko was cursing Kagami and saying that she would come back from the grave and bite his head off? For a moment, I thought that was the case. I never considered Himiko being dead, but that her death wish was so strong that the virtual program made it come true but only for Kagami.... Ehr, or something.
At that moment, I thought it was something connected to the curse. Ban hinted on it during the battle with Himiko Episode 5.
Report Spam   Logged

sharkshocker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 02:23:52 pm »

Voted for episode 7, it really shows Ban's intelligence in that even though his opponents know about his skills, he can still trick them.

I like the earlier times that Ban uses it in the anime, because it's more subtle and it's hard to expect when he'll use it...

How come the Platinum episodes aren't here?  That time when he used it on the crows to trick Himiko/Maguruma was pretty smart too.
Report Spam   Logged

PSN ID: shark_shocker

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: