News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
April 18, 2024, 11:04:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Who here loves Japanese honorifics?

Poll
Question: Should I keep in the honorifics on people's names?
I love them! Keep them please! (Ban-chan? Ban-chan!? BAN-CHAN!! Ban-chan...) - 38 (97.4%)
Use them sparingly, only if they make the dialogue stronger - 1 (2.6%)
I never want to see an honorific again! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Who here loves Japanese honorifics?  (Read 1265 times)
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:02:04 pm »

Hey, guys. Up till now I've been keeping the honorifics (-san, -chan, -kun, etc.) in the translation whenever they appear. I think they get a little annoying when they're overused, but if you guys really like them, I'll keep them in. Let me know what you think.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:12:20 pm »

I'm not sure why I like them so much, except maybe I'm partial to being literal.  If it's there in the original language, I like to have it present when I read it translated.  And though it may seem contradictory, I prefer the honorifics to stay "Japanese" -- I don't really like them translated to the point that people are saying "Mr. Ban, Mr. Ginji."  I think that tends to happen more in anime subtitles rather than in manga, though.

Thanks for the translation work you do! 
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 06:11:40 pm »

I LOVE THEM. I think that Japanese honorifics are best way to show how they think of each other and character's personality! Ignoring them would be losing information. But most people find them to be hassle! So if you really want to take them out...it is fine!! I just like like when hear "Ban-chan!"
Report Spam   Logged
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:57:05 pm »

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll keep them all as-is for now.

I LOVE THEM. I think that Japanese honorifics are best way to show how they think of each other and character's personality! Ignoring them would be losing information.

Yeah, I think that's how a lot of people feel. I think most of the time they don't convey that much, but they do sometimes help to show a character's personality. Like the fact that Ginji uses them for almost everyone because he's friendly and polite, whereas Ban never uses them for anyone (because he's an arrogant prick Cool)

And though it may seem contradictory, I prefer the honorifics to stay "Japanese" -- I don't really like them translated to the point that people are saying "Mr. Ban, Mr. Ginji."  I think that tends to happen more in anime subtitles rather than in manga, though.

That's definitely true. I would never just haphazardly replace honorifics with English words. Occasionally they fit (e.g., Akabane calls Hevn "Chuukaiya-san" and I translate it as "Miss Go-Between"), but for the most part it doesn't work.
Report Spam   Logged
Naz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:43:10 am »

I really think that they add to the dialogue...
It shows more about the characters' realtionships...
Think you should keep them in  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Click please ^^

ah abusing tom is one of my few pleasures in life  Cheesy
Kickthekitty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 08:27:01 am »

Up till now I've been keeping the honorifics (-san, -chan, -kun, etc.) in the translation whenever they appear. I think they get a little annoying when they're overused.

(Agreeing with others)  It's not overuse when you preserve them.
Honorifics are simply so large part of the japanese dialogue that removing them could kill the text. Well, unless you plan to do somekind of extreme rewrite.
In any case I think we all have already learnt to read honorifics in a way we don't even notice them anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:24:07 am »

Hey, guys. Up till now I've been keeping the honorifics (-san, -chan, -kun, etc.) in the translation whenever they appear. I think they get a little annoying when they're overused, but if you guys really like them, I'll keep them in. Let me know what you think.

I like it when the honorifics are left in the translations. Sometimes, if you leave them out, we can end up losing some of the meaning in the translations, as well as other things.

I'm not sure why I like them so much, except maybe I'm partial to being literal.  If it's there in the original language, I like to have it present when I read it translated.  And though it may seem contradictory, I prefer the honorifics to stay "Japanese" -- I don't really like them translated to the point that people are saying "Mr. Ban, Mr. Ginji."  I think that tends to happen more in anime subtitles rather than in manga, though.

Thanks for the translation work you do! 

Yea, I pretty much agree with this.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:25:43 am by Vent the North » Report Spam   Logged

Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:32:08 am »

Okay, seems unanimous then. I just wanted to make sure no one was getting annoyed.
Report Spam   Logged
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 05:05:57 pm »

Thanks for asking anyway!  Grin Also I wanted say that chapter 3 of volume TALK waaaaay too much. It took me forever just placing the text in! It must been extra hard to translate! Thank you for translating it! It must have cause a lot tears and blood...and sweat.
Report Spam   Logged
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:36:40 am »

Yeah, there was a lot of dialogue in this one. But at least it's actual conversation. Not like that stupid Inferno Dome announcer who managed to stuff a paragraph worth of text into every bubble. God, I was sick of that guy!
Report Spam   Logged
harakiri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:59:25 pm »

in my opinion honorifics are essential to any manga-scanlation and i love that you use them. please keep them! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
gupita

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 08:27:31 pm »

I like them because it's the usual way to adress people in Japan and i heard them in anime all the time.
I'm used to them  Grin
Thanks for keep them!!!
Report Spam   Logged
sharkshocker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 12:56:48 pm »

Honorifics produce a more authentic feel to the dialogue, and I like how it gives more personality to how the characters talk, i.e. there's a difference when someone calls Ban "Ban-chan" instead of just "Ban" 

Keep them Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

PSN ID: shark_shocker
A-chan

Woo!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:04:00 am »

Oh keep the honorifics. It's what makes the relationship between Ban and Ginji extra special (Ban-chan).
Report Spam   Logged
lukasagitta

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 02:41:48 pm »

Deefinitely keep them. I remember, my favorite part of the anime dub was when, in a next episode preview, Ginji finally called Ban, Ban-chan.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: