News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 29, 2024, 03:47:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gene Simmons' Son Plagiarizing Bleach

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Gene Simmons' Son Plagiarizing Bleach  (Read 2518 times)
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:24:32 pm »

I don't know if anyone know this news yet: Gene Simmons' son Plagiarizing Bleach and other famous mangas in his comic called Incarnate . I read the news on Mangahelper (http://mangahelpers.com/news/details/332) If you want to read more about, please visit: http://community.livejournal.com/bleachness/446299.html. Most actions seems to be over (really quickly too)...but I thought it would be interesting topic to talk about. Shocked

And let be said that one gotta to be one of most stupid thing to ever do! Having a similar characters/storyline is considered homage to original artist ...to have the exactly the same scene that looks like it was copy from top to bottom with same lines and calling it your own is plagiarizing! No if, no buts! Arts is about copying style AND MAKING YOUR OWN STYLE!  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 06:27:35 pm by somehow_here » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:32:22 am »

Wow, I hadn't heard about that -- it does seem pretty obvious that this guy is copying Bleach's style.  As you say, one can honor the original author to a certain extent with a similar style, and even characters based on other characters -- but to copy so blatantly and call it your own without any reference to the original piece is definitely not good.  Worse yet, he's likely getting paid for drawing those comics.

I thought the Bleach author was pretty kind to him in his remarks!  Has this Simmons person continued with his comic, or has he stepped back from it?  Surely a person who can copy that well ought to be able to come up with something that is his own style!
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 05:23:18 pm »

Worse yet, he's likely getting paid for drawing those comics.
Yup! That really takes the cake! Doesn't! To make matters even worse, on his deviantart page he had said that anyone that copying from Incarnate he will sue...even though it seems obvious that he did copy the some of scenes from Bleach...I just happy that someone manage to catch him so soon. Incarnate has only been out for while.

I thought the Bleach author was pretty kind to him in his remarks!  Has this Simmons person continued with his comic, or has he stepped back from it?  Surely a person who can copy that well ought to be able to come up with something that is his own style!
I totally agree with you! His style looks similar to Bleach...it looks very good. He could have change it suit his style...I would have been bit anger but mostly fine if he just said that he was inspired or something similar in beginning of comic. But to even deny the its connection,  to even further say that he doesn't know that Bleach doesn't existed...is down right insulting.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:36:10 pm »

What keeps on bugging me the most (yes even, more than the obvious tracing) is how in the world he thought he was going to get away with it. I mean, is he not AWARE of the fact that Bleach happens to be one of the most world-wide popular mangas right now? What was he thinking?

"Hmmm, as long as I recolour the characters, NOBODY is going to notice! Surely this 'Bleach' comic doesn't have any fans that will be able to tell the similarities!"

I just don't get it. These news have thoroughly proved that he is not only incredibly lazy and doesn't take his "art" seriously at all (for if he did, he would have drawn everything himself, from scratch), but also that he is just PLAIN STUPID for never understanding that this manga is INCREDIBLY POPULAR with A LOT OF FANS who will RECOGNIZE their favourite manga even behind lazy recolouring.

Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:48:55 pm »

Yeah, I saw this earlier this week. I'm still laughing about it.

I kinda feel bad for the guy though. I'm sure it's tough having a famous dad like that. Looks like he cracked under the pressure.
Report Spam   Logged
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 03:37:15 pm »

Yeah, I saw this earlier this week. I'm still laughing about it.

I kinda feel bad for the guy though. I'm sure it's tough having a famous dad like that. Looks like he cracked under the pressure.

Well that kinda of true!  Wink Being under the shadow of his father must have him to lose his marbles...there is no other way to explain it. There is no way that no one would have not catch on to his deception...if he just release one chapter maybe it would have been fine. But to do series...is really silly! On side note, I was laughing about it too! Once I look at the comic...I couldn't stop laughing about it. In fact, I still get giggle when I think about it!
Report Spam   Logged
Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »

I heard about this. How stupid can you be to basically trace the lines of probably one of the most recognisable manga's in the world and expect not to get caught.....
Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 05:52:50 pm »

Here's an update I just saw at AnimeNewsNetwork:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-01/incarnate-simmons-addresses-alleged-bleach-copying

It seems like he's not really admitting anything more than admiration as a reason why he is copying, as he apologizes to those who "might have been offended."  That's nice as far as it goes, but as we've all agreed, it's one thing to admire an artist and another to copy outright without any acknowledgment to the original artist.
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:28:29 am »

It seems like he's not really admitting anything more than admiration as a reason why he is copying, as he apologizes to those who "might have been offended."  That's nice as far as it goes, but as we've all agreed, it's one thing to admire an artist and another to copy outright without any acknowledgment to the original artist.

So he not admitted to copying art...wow, talk about denial. It would be less of deal if he just fess up in beginning, but it kinda of too late to that. Especially what he said on blog site... And this statement is completely different from he made on blog. I found on GameFaqs site (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=206&topic=53603878&page=6). In case you guys don't have enough time to look at forum, here is the images on forum:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/7eecfe69626510
http://www.imagebam.com/image/e8556669626508

You can see the difference...between the statement and what had said blog before.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:30:40 am by somehow_here » Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:05:11 pm »

So he not admitted to copying art...wow, talk about denial. It would be less of deal if he just fess up in beginning, but it kinda of too late to that. Especially what he said on blog site... And this statement is completely different from he made on blog. I found on GameFaqs site (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=206&topic=53603878&page=6). In case you guys don't have enough time to look at forum, here is the images on forum:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/7eecfe69626510
http://www.imagebam.com/image/e8556669626508

You can see the difference...between the statement and what had said blog before.

That poster was obviously a troll. You could see on the profile that it was made during about the same time this "scandal" was revealed, and "he" also posted nearly only on groups etcetera that had to do with it. Also, the real Nick Simmons has stated before in interviews and such that he IS ineed a manga fan, and knows perfectly well what manga is.
Although that "magma" segment will probably be a nice meme in no time. XD
Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 02:19:52 pm »

I believe that that nick simmons account on facebook is a fake. I think nick simmons has admitted he likes manga before.
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 05:25:09 pm »

I believe that that nick simmons account on facebook is a fake. I think nick simmons has admitted he likes manga before.

I do hope so. That facebook really makes him sound like jerk.

That poster was obviously a troll. You could see on the profile that it was made during about the same time this "scandal" was revealed, and "he" also posted nearly only on groups etcetera that had to do with it.

I would have never realized it was fake from those things alone...I guess I need to take a more careful look at the image! Lips Sealed

Report Spam   Logged
highway61ie
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 07:35:01 pm »

man i hope he doesnt run into any hardcore bleach fans in real life o.o
they'd skin him alive D:
Report Spam   Logged

Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 10:07:00 pm »

man i hope he doesnt run into any hardcore bleach fans in real life o.o
they'd skin him alive D:

Heh. From what I've read on NF, hardcore Bleach fans hate Bleach more than anyone.

Though the same goes for Naruto fans too. One of the reasons why I stopped posting there Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:38 am »

Heh. From what I've read on NF, hardcore Bleach fans hate Bleach more than anyone.

Though the same goes for Naruto fans too. One of the reasons why I stopped posting there Tongue

Ehhh...I guess it kinda of true! I used REALLY love Naruto and Bleach. I used to fan, but now these days, I kinda between borderline annoyed and anger for Naruto/Bleach. I love series for their creative and main character, but now they seems to mostly drag on and focus on nonessential character. I guess dragging through mud could hurt that much...then again, the my love for series makes me want to keep from being insulted, no matter how bad it going like hate-love relationship with your sister/brother! I guess I wouldn't kill him...maybe just throw rotten eggs if I would ever see him...and the followed by miscellenous objects... Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: