News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
April 19, 2024, 05:52:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Summer 2011 Anime - Who's watching what?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2011 Anime - Who's watching what?  (Read 233 times)
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2011, 03:22:49 pm »

Time for a new anime season, people! So, while in the wait for another exciting, gorgeous-looking chapter of our favourite retrieval agents, why not subject yourself to some new anime coming out these couple of weeks?

Here is a chart for the anime that has just begun airing (or has yet to).
[spoiler][/spoiler]

As for myself, I have decided to watch...

Sacred Seven
Reason for watching: Looks kinda like Code Geass, and is made by Sunrise, which I have faith in because of Cowboy Bebop, the Mai-franchise, Code Geass, and most recently, Tiger & Bunny.
My impression: Going into this series with high expectations, the first episode was mostly a let-down for me. It’s a total mess of several different anime tropes and stock characters that we’ve seen so many times before, and it’s done in a completely straight-forward way that almost makes it come off as a stealth parody. However, when the second episode was up, it had a much better pacing and gave us some explanations that made previous “random” events seem almost… logical. Almost. I’m sticking to this series, even if it’s mostly out of boredom, a couple of somewhat intriguing plot threads, and cool OP and ED songs. Hey, at least it could turn out to be decent popcorn entertainment.

Usagi Drop
Reason for watching: A very anticipated title that seems very subtle and down-to-earth.
My impression: The art style (especially the colouring and the way the backgrounds are drawn) almost turned me off in the first episode, but after sticking through the whole episode, I had been rewarded with a very different title from most animes nowadays – subtle, down-to-earth and realistic. The voice acting reflects this, being nothing even close to as melodramatic as what we’re used to! I find the growing relationship between our two protagonists very endearing, and will stick through this series to see if they stick to the manga’s ending (yeah, I spoiled myself), which I BY GOD HOPE IT WON’T. Seriously, that would ruin so much of what the series have told us as that point.

No.6
Reason for watching: Studio Bones.
My impression: This is one of those anime titles where you can’t grasp what the premise of the show is by watching just the first episode. But hey, it’s freaking Bones, and they have yet to let me down. I trust them. And I do like what I have seen so far; the backgrounds and character designs are utterly gorgeous (as expected from Bones), the characters show a lot of potential and chemistry, and the sci-fi setting intrigues me. Definitely watching this on a very eager note to see where this will go. Next episode can’t come out quickly enough…!

Ikoku Meiro no Labyrinth
Reason for watching: It has the director of Sailor Moon and Princess Tutu among the staff… and it looks cute.
My impression: Another Slice of Life drama! While some viewers will probably write it off as dull and boring, I appreciate how calm and soothing this series is (so far). French culture seen through the eyes of a Japanese person is interesting, and the main character, Yune, is absolutely adorable! Not an annoying moeblob, but a genuinely charming and cute little girl that is very easy to sympathize with. The other two characters are nice as well, and it seems like the next episode will feature the introduction of a new character, so here’s to hoping for more cute developments in the series!

Mawaru Penguindrum
Reason for watching: The director of Revolutionary Girl Utena makes a comeback after 14 years of absence from the anime industry.
My impression: FUCK YEAH IKUHARA IS BACK IN ACTION – AND I’M LOVING IT. This. Is easily my favourite show this season - or possibly the whole year?! The first episode blew my mind with its quirky premise and the unique, colourful visuals. The characters are already compelling and a joy to watch interact, the screen is literally exploding with ideas and carefully thought-out details, and DAT ENDING… Seriously, I’m only one episode in and I already know that I would have marathoned this show if I could. Every single second of this show is fabulous, and I NEED MORE OF IT. Thankfully, according to ANN, there will be 24 episodes of this mad awesomeness/awesome madness! So, only 23 weeks to go…

Oh, and I’m also looking forward to the last episode of the Black Lagoon OVA: Roberta’s Blood Trail, the Hakuouki OVAs, Towa nu Kuon, and last but not least Fullmetal Alchemist - Milos no Seinaru Hoshi… Though in the latter two’s case, we won’t get to see them online in another half-year or so. XD

If we combine these five titles with a title from the spring season that I’m also watching, Tiger & Bunny, this makes it for a new personal record. You see, I have never followed more than three anime shows at once when they were airing, and now it’s suddenly doubled! And I used to be very “meh” about watching anime one episode at a time as they aired… Hehe!

So, what are you watching this season?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:21:06 pm by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »

I am (im)patiently waiting for the Hakouki OVAs, but that's about all I plan to watch this summer -- except possibly for Blade.  My son and I have been watching the Marvel series together, so we will probably keep going and watch that one, which I assume wraps things up.  I will be mostly watching it for any guest appearances by Wolverine!   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

fbunawan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 02:36:49 pm »

It's a bit of a late reply, but I want to pick up Blood-C (is it summer or fall?). Not much of a follower of the Blood series, but it's made by CLAMP.
Report Spam   Logged
jas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:04:42 pm »

watching:

usagi drop - i really liked this, but haven't finished it yet, so holding off judgement for now--especially since i read the manga and am a biiiit nervous about how they'll end the anime.

mawaru penguindrum - i like it well enough, but it's no utena. (ahhh, my fault for having such high expectations in the first place) it's still fun, tho.

tiger and bunny - does this still count? not the best show ever but ENJOYING THE HECK OUT OF THIS ONE.

no. 6 - to be honest this is the one i'm most emotionally invested in, i really love the novels and was very worried for the anime. i... still like it a lot, there were some truly gorgeous moments, but. some parts also made me froth at the mouth hahaha. DAT FINALE. WHY BONES WHY.

@fbunawan: ehhh... i dropped this after three eps. i'm a fan of clamp, too, but they've been making more of a mess of things lately.  Cry
Report Spam   Logged
tristal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:33:20 pm »

i am currently waiting for the Fullmetal Alchemist: Milos no Seinaru Hoshi
i will wait for negima to finish and i will seat and watch it from the beginning
and i saw Air Gear .  I really wist that they will do a remake and a full manga adaptation because the manga is
one of the best .
And waiting for Towa no Quon.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: