News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 04:36:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Latest chapter discussion

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest chapter discussion  (Read 4945 times)
dreamdead

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2010, 09:45:41 am »

that was one of the best chapters from get backers that is my opinon it was just so awesome as ginji go off lightning mode and ban with his fraking arm just awesome
Report Spam   Logged
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2010, 05:15:25 pm »

It's been a while, so let's have some more notes!

The Fuuchouin use a bunch of confusing terms that I probably should have researched a little better before this. I'm going to be more consistent with them from now on.

1. Souke (宗家) - This term can refer to the main branch of a group of families/clans, and it can also refer to the head of the main branch family as an individual. So Kazuki's family is the "souke," and Kazuki's dad is also the "souke."  I'm gonna translate the first sense as "Head Family" and the second as "Clan Head."

The Head Family is generally determined by the lineage of the eldest son. This is why Kazuki, being the eldest son of the Head Family, is considered the successor to the Fuuchouin. If you read Naruto, the Hyuuga have the same sort of heirarchy. Hinata is part of the Heady Family like Kazuki, and Neji is part of a branch family like Saizou.

The issue with Yohan in the volume 31 flashback was that they wanted the Kokuchouin to take over as the new Head Family, and for Yohan to become the new Clan Head. But Kazuki's dad wouldn't allow it (because Yohan's a fuckin' psycho and all).

2. Soushu (宗主) - This is the leader of a family/clan/etc. But I think it's a term that's only used between the leaders of the branches themselves and not by lower members. I'm not 100% on it, really. As I understand it, Kazuki's dad and Saizou's dad would both call each other "Soushu", but Saizou's dad calls Kazuki's dad "Soushu-sama" because Kazuki's dad is from the head family. I just translate it as "Lord" for lack of a better English word.

3. Ura / Omote (裏/表) - Roughly, "ura" means "hidden/underside" and "omote" means "public/top side." The Fuuchouin has its "Ura" side (the Ura-Fuuchouin) which stays hidden and does nasty things in the shadows, and everyone else is on the "Omote" side. I don't translate "Ura" since it pops up so much, but "Omote" I translate into "Mainline" because I think it's clearer that way.

3. Ougi (奥義) - Most of the names for the bowstring arts techniques Kazuki and Saizou use are "chuu-den" - "middle grade." The dragon and firebird techniques they used in this chaper were "ougi-den," which I called "master grade." "Ougi" means like "secret teachings," but in this context it implies like a secret super technique that only a real badass can use.

4. In this chapter Kazuki and Saizou use the honorific "-dono" with each other. I translated it as "master" (*gasp* I know! You'll have to deal Cool).

Shit. That was a lot. Hopefully that's it for a while. Heh.
Report Spam   Logged
Miru

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2010, 01:27:13 pm »

Some spoilers of the newest chapter~

WAAAH, Amon is back! And Emishi is allright~ I'm so happy  Grin Allthought I don't have any idea how Amon can be alive, but I don't care, because one of my favorite character is back <3 *fangirl scream*
Report Spam   Logged

Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2010, 09:34:08 pm »

Hey, couple notes for chapter 1 of volume 34:

1. Ginji's joke line "Don't they say blood is thick as an otter?" I changed it to fit the joke. He really says "Don't they say hemorrhoids hurt worse than athlete's foot?" It's a silly pun. The lines sound similar in Japanese:

Chi wa mizu yori mo koi (Blood is thicker than water)

Ji wa mizu-mushi yori mo itai (Hemorrhoids hurt worse than athlete's foot)

2. When Akabane shows up the background text is the song Kagome Kagome (I kinda fucked up the translation - got lazy QQ). It's sorta like the Japanese version of ring around the rosy, but there's kid who sits in the middle of the ring with a blindfold on, and he has to guess which kid is standing behind him when the song ends. Also, like ring around the rosy, it sounds kinda creepy out of context like this.

Wooooooo. Peace!
Report Spam   Logged
jmballe

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2011, 10:51:46 pm »

Finally, i'm able to read it!! haha Grin
Report Spam   Logged
jadeenigmax

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2011, 09:09:33 am »

I'm still trying to understand Ban.  During the first Grand Prix battle he used magic, but then it was never shown again.  Will this happen to his arm as well?
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2011, 12:15:50 pm »

Let's try reviving this thread! Grin

[spoiler]I'm so glad it's finally been revealed what's the true purpose of Brain Trust and what their goal is. Of course, I suspect that there is more material on this matter to come, but what's been revealed in the last couple of chapters is nonetheless satisfying and shocking at the same time. The creators of this series have definitely been inspired by The Matrix, at least in the way humans will be controlled and living "fake lives". Actually, it also kind of makes me think of the on-going anime No.6, which also touches upon this subject.

The ogre battle is coming up, but I'm sure the invincible GB will find a loophole of some sorts to make them retrieve the lost time and bonds they came for. Tongue I have an idea of the identity of the person Masaki whispered to Maria might be, but I'll leave that for the future chapters to take care of.

Speaking of Masaki, the reunion he had with Hevn at the very end of the previous volume was super sweet and a very fitting closure to the book. Kiss
[/spoiler]
Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
dekaiOw™

-fiGht the oneS you lOve™

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2011, 06:55:32 am »

This is cool.. PLeas continue on posting.. Smiley I'm learning a lot.. ^_^
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]