News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
April 20, 2024, 01:50:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

What got you started in Anime?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: What got you started in Anime?  (Read 2075 times)
xphia

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 08:12:35 am »

I started by watching Love HIna & Fruit Basket... ahh.. they don't make anime like those days anymore...
Report Spam   Logged
Edian

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 09:57:17 am »

The first anime I saw +/- 17 years ago was the botch job we now know and love as Robotech.
Report Spam   Logged
Gildor

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 10:28:03 am »

For me the first anime were two movies, Akira and Vampire Hunter D (the first movie) that were aired in cartoon network in my country, the first serie was Saint Seiya and after that Slayers ! and Yoroiden Samurai Troopers.
Report Spam   Logged
demy1990

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 05:23:59 pm »

I watched a lot of anime on TV when I was a kid, I really liked watching them.
when I got older I began downloading anime. that's how I got into anime.
Report Spam   Logged
Limbo

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:44 pm »

flame of recca was the one that started it all. my cousin had it and just popped it into the vcr and i was hooked.
Report Spam   Logged
fatez

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 06:53:19 pm »

Having a brother 12 years older I started watching anime very early. First ones a remember are Gunbuster and Macross.
Report Spam   Logged
Briendale

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 07:03:21 pm »

Very first ones I remember watching were Tekkaman, Robotech Macross saga and DBZ.
Report Spam   Logged
hColleen

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 07:58:50 am »

I loved cartoons.  There was Voltron, Silver Hawks, Thundercats, He-man, TMNT, etc when I was a kid.  Cartoons were awesome when I was a kid...I go back and watch some of those now and wonder what I was thinking, but they were awesome!

Anyways...fast forward a few years.  A love of animation that never quite went away.  I love animated movies...I also like trying to see when/if I can see the CGI (usually, on a lot of things)...add in working nights and having access to a TV with cable and Cartoon Network and boredom with HGTV (don't ask...I am a dork, as should be obvious by now).  Throw in animation with cool plots and characters and...it was love...

That was how it started, anyways...  Then randomly stumbling across an episode of YYH and it rather got worse (to the point where NetFlix became involved because I had to see it)...add in the world of torrenting and you have an addiction...
Report Spam   Logged

Omne ignotum pro magnifico est
leonardotorres

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 10:50:38 am »

when a was a kid i watched the usual ones tekkaman, 1000 year princess (i didnīt get the the plot at that time),
tenchi muyo, Magic knight reyearth, rurouni kenshin, mazinger, shaman king, and others , but the thing is that in my country they pick up nice anime series sometimes but after 10 or 15 episodes they just cancell the show so i was always mad because i culdnīt the conclusions of those animes, few yeras later (i was like 10-11 years old) a friend invited me to go to an anime convention i wen t with him and his brother and suddenly somenthing in me just clicked and insanity started since that time i started to rent anime in a new store that openned  near my house.
Report Spam   Logged
darkworlder

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »

started off watching sailor moon. i dont remember how old i was. didnt even know it was anime all i knew was i liked it. wasnt until i first watched dbz years later that i figured out it was an anime.
Report Spam   Logged
msViolet

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 12:55:54 pm »

When I was a child I had no idea some of the cartoons I was watching were dubbed anime, so I don't think that counts. 

My husband introduced me to a few techie anime, Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiment Lain, but oh no, I wasn't into anime, I just really liked a those few.

Then a housemate introduced us to Cowboy bebop, but oh no, I wasn't into anime, I just really loved Cowboy Bebop.

Our friends would bring over tapes and CDs of a few anime, but oh no (you guessed it) I wasn't into anime. I just enjoyed watching them with friends, like .hack//sign.

Finally, one of those friends brought gave me a 20 DVD collection of popular anime, and after a massive anime marathon, I was finally out of the closet. I love anime and manga!
Report Spam   Logged
ubernator22

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 01:04:56 pm »

I don't remember when it was exactly anymore, but a friend of mine introduced me to Rurouni Kenshin.  I watched a few episodes and was hooked.
Report Spam   Logged
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 05:45:10 pm »

My husband introduced me to a few techie anime, Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiment Lain, but oh no, I wasn't into anime, I just really liked a those few.

It's so fun when it's family members who introduce you to anime -- my son is responsible for my addiction.  Neither of us has been able to convince the Mister of the house that he should join us in our marathons, however.  We'll win him over slowly but surely, though!

Report Spam   Logged

Aphastral

The Pedestrian

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2010, 02:26:51 am »

my first anime was Sailor Moon; it was broadcast here when I was about... five ? Too bad it was always at dinner time so I could never finish a full episode  Huh? I didn't pick up anime again until two years ago, and my first complete series was Suzumiya Haruhi I. Now I'm completely hooked and will probably continue with anime for quite a few years more... as long as directors like Yuasa Masaaki or Satoshi Kon still exist  Grin 
Report Spam   Logged
crystal_mimi

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2010, 05:15:07 am »

pokemon was the first real anime for me...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: