News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 08:35:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Theories on the Getbackers franchise's staying power

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Theories on the Getbackers franchise's staying power  (Read 283 times)
laika_sinclair

here there be dragons

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:09:04 am »

I've been contemplating at how minimal the fanbase is. Getbackers doesn't seem to be in people's minds for so long and a few people have actually heard of it. Fannish output and merchandise are also lacking.

But why is that so? Why is such a great series so underrated?

Any theories?
Report Spam   Logged

We realized what it was that bound people. The divinity that drives the world...is human will itself.
-Semimaru Kanade

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:46 pm »

It does seem odd that it should be so neglected.  After all, there are 39 volumes of manga, and some 45 episodes of anime -- that's usually enough to get something going with fans, not to mention merchandise!  I just wonder if it's because so many of the volumes of manga were not translated into English, and the ones that were were done at such a slow rate that people lost hope (or interest).  These days, popular anime and manga get cool merchandise, but maybe that wasn't as big a thing when Getbackers was on the air.  Or else it was long enough ago that whatever used to be available is no longer around.  (If only there were still Ginji plushies, I'd put down money for one of those in a flash!   Grin)  Even the couple of drama CD's that came out are impossible to get a hold of, sigh!
Report Spam   Logged

laika_sinclair

here there be dragons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 02:00:57 pm »

Those are reasonable explanations, though quite sad isn't it? I just wish an anime studio would pick up the series again and do a remake I'll gladly offer money~
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚'✿,。・:*:・゚'❁

There are just a lot of stuff that gets too much unwarranted attention (hmm like vocaloids for example--they're just anthromorphic sound synthesizers with no material at all to work with, yet they're popular until today), and it's sad GB doesn't get as much with all of its potential.

PS: I found pictures of official plushies from here (scroll down a bit): http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/GetBackers-Last-Piece-guide-book-OOP-japan-/300480367707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f6068c5b

I wish they were still available I'd nab an Akabane plushie as well (*≧▽≦)
Report Spam   Logged

We realized what it was that bound people. The divinity that drives the world...is human will itself.
-Semimaru Kanade
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:08:45 pm »

What I had to say about this matter has already been said. Undecided But yes, indeed, it is quite a shame that it hasn't recieved the attention it truly deserves. Naruto, Bleach and Katekyo Hitman Reborn can go die in a fire for all I care - Get Backers is QUALITY SHOUNEN. Perhaps not as intricate as Fullmetal Alchemist, but it's not far off.

I think our main problem is that it has had its popularity peak, but we had yet to be introduced to the series when that happened. Now that we actually are interested in it, the love for it has cooled down.
I think the only possible way to give it a well-deserved renaissance would be a second anime adaption that remakes the whole thing from start to finish. Which I wouldn't have any problems with as long as they kept the original voice actors and toned down the fanservice (because, really, do we NEED to see Himiko's naked ass or Hevn's boobs bouncing all over the place every five seconds? If anything, less fanservice would make the series appeal to a wider audience, and not make the people who aren't slobbering horndogs who's never even SPOKED to a woman ever turn away from a great story with loveable characters). However, I don't think any studio would be willing to make a gambit on this idea, as the series would probably need around 100 episodes to tell everything that the manga has to offer, and a series HAS to be a safe bet if it's going to get that many episodes. If it flops = no money = no more episodes. And then we'd be stuck with yet ANOTHER unsatisfying GB anime. No fun. Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: