News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 05:28:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

How were you guys introduced to GetBackers?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How were you guys introduced to GetBackers?  (Read 1781 times)
laika_sinclair

here there be dragons

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:35:23 am »

Through the anime, manga, other media, or word of mouth? In what circumstances? And what attracted you to it and made you stay in the fandom?

As for me, I first got wind of it through Animax while flipping through the channels. I thought the character designs looked cool and the anime had an interesting premise based on the commercial.  After watching a couple of episodes, I got hooked yey~

Akabane forced me to stay in the fandom. I loved how unique each character's backstories are (and lol at the Ban, Ginji and Akabane interactions). Not every anime has fleshed out characters. I also loved the art so much that I decided to give the manga a go. 'Lo and behold, there were 7 Miroku siblings (wut?), and then I got confused (not to mention I was pretty much "meh" for the last anime ark). Reading the manga was so much better and I got hooked...forever?

So, how about you guys? (sorry for that elaborate story, just stirring a discussion...and I'm not sure if this is supposed to be in the anime or manga section, so forgive me).
Report Spam   Logged

We realized what it was that bound people. The divinity that drives the world...is human will itself.
-Semimaru Kanade

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 12:34:52 pm »

I got started with the anime.  Never saw it on TV or dubbed, but I went looking for it online to watch when I learned my favorite Japanese voice actor did Ginji's voice.  So of course, Ginji is my favorite character, but I love all the characters after watching the show over and over again!   Cheesy  There are definitely some great interactions in that show, lol!

Since there wasn't enough of the anime (45 episodes was too short!) I started reading the manga.  I won't say I like it better than the anime, but I like it at least as much, and it definitely fills out the story more -- at length!   Grin  I like it when anime and manga are a bit different, too, as it makes it feel like I'm getting two for the price of one or something.   Wink  And of course, the manga actually finishes the story (eventually) so that is (or will be) very satisfying.

Report Spam   Logged

wearenotone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 11:12:34 pm »

I watched one episode of the anime, it was somewhere in the Implosion lens arc.
Totally loved the fight scenes and then i kept watching. But the anime went downhill after the end of that arc, so i started on the manga and now im hooked
Report Spam   Logged
elparri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:00:26 pm »

I'm from Venezuela, so either you have kickass knowledge of good fansubs and series around from friends, or just keep watching Animax with lame translations. Hard to believe, but GB's translation at Animax was superb. Though everyone here is DB core (running 1 episode a day at Televen) to enjoy short series like GB you need to be an anime lover, so it wasn't that popular... Quite a shame
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:28:49 pm »

Oh, it's nothing spectacular. I was eager to watch a new anime, and then I suddenly stumbled across Get Backers. Well, I had heard of it years before so it wasn't like it was a completely new discovery, but then I remembered that I read somewhere that one of the main chracters of the series had his voice done by one of my favourite seiyuu of all time - Canna Nobutoshi. So I thought "Ey, what the heck, I guess I'll try it out - at least I know it'll have SOME entertainment in it, now that Canna-sama is playing a main character instead of a side character" (which was what he'd been doing in all the series I'd watched with him in at that point).
So it just downloaded the whole thing and sat down without any particular expectations... and was completely blown away. It took only four days to finish the series, and during one of those days I watched 20 episodes in a row! Then I went directly to the manga, where I read 19 volumes in TWO days. And then... well, let's just say it all went downhill from there. XD

Hmm, this sunday is actually my two-year anniversary when it comes to GB, as I started watching the anime (and thus, first was introduced to GB) on the 6th of February! Yes, I remember the exact date, THAT's how obsessed I am! XD

Get Backers, Get Backers, IN MY HEART~
Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
koala1976

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:16 pm »

Well, in my case It was because of an error. I'm a great fan of yaoi and shounen-ai, and some day I was looking for anime of those genders because my HD died and someone wrote ina forum that this serie was shounen-ai. Obviously It si not, but I fell in love and laughed like crazy with this serie and became a fan.
Report Spam   Logged
Catnip

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 06:30:50 am »

Through my best friend! I remember when Get Backers was being featured in Animax and I thought it was bad because they showed the really weird expressions that Ban and Ginji made like when they found Natsumi's cat so I thought it wasn't cool. But then my bestfriend persuaded me watch it because she said that Ginji and Ban were like the two of us - one bad, one good. So I watched and I loved it since then. Yay! :}
Report Spam   Logged
Intake

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 03:19:08 pm »

I remember watching a couple of episodes of the Getbackers on onDemand 4 or 5 years ago. Then stopped watching cause I didn't have comcast anymore. I took a long break from it and started to read the manga again.
Report Spam   Logged
Merze

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:55:34 am »

I read my first GB back in a bookstore in indonesia. I read the venus de milo arc and totally got sucked right into it  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Levz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 03:56:25 am »

I think i was waiting to see FMA in the (former) anime tv station but GB was airing, and I probably saw ban and thought "he looks cool, his voice is cool (he has edward elric voice in the dub) his shades are great, and he's punching people...let's see how this ends" then ginji probably appeared I must have thought "oh look a comic relief, with electric power, sweet!" then they probably hugged or something like that and I liked the strong bond between the two so I just kept watching.
Report Spam   Logged

Protest Song (to Silvio)

He fell mortally wounded from a slash to his guitar
But had enough time to get his best song from it’s cover
And shot his assassin with it
Who momentarily seemed shocked
Taking his fingers to the ears
And screaming
For someone to turn off the lights

-Roque Dalton
elain

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 08:38:07 pm »

I was browsing for manga to read on mangafox, and read the manga first. I was so hooked I watched the anime, cause the manga stopped (before I found this site).
Report Spam   Logged
Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 11:30:41 pm »

my friend came to me with a dvd on his hand and just said:
- Watch this. It Kicks Ass!!!
Report Spam   Logged
OtakuSupreme

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 04:15:10 am »

started watching it on The Anime Network on Demand. Wasn't hooked at first but then it got funnier with akabane. he is so damn funny. wish it was more bloody like the manga though.
Report Spam   Logged
Artemis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »

Ah, well, this is embarassing, but Tokyopop runs ads for other series they translate at the backs of volumes. I was interested after seeing a one-page ad, with just the text "They get back what should be gone...most of the time" and a picture of Ban and Ginji, and started buying the series from Tokyopop. After they dropped the series, I lost interest for a while, but recently got back into it through mangafox.
Report Spam   Logged
edna88

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 01:03:44 am »

It was because of the anime, the first chapter I watched was the one with an annoying girl XD I think it was the second season. It's been aired on Animax n.n Shamefully, Latin American Animax only airs anime early in the morning >_> from 2am to 8am. Anyway, I loved it, specially 'cause I am a fangirl Cheesy!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: