News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 29, 2024, 02:24:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

About new members

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About new members  (Read 437 times)
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:07:23 am »

I've been noticing more and more that the posts of new people have been pretty meager as far as content goes, so they really are just amounting to spam.  I agree that something should be done about it, but I'm not sure what.  The idea of limiting the number of posts per day might be helpful, but who's to say they won't do the same thing each day they are allowed to post, and we still don't have posts with content?  Even so, it's a good suggestion and may be the easiest one to implement.

One thing I wish is that the new people would at least introduce themselves -- I've seen many newbies posting "I'm new, too" in all the intro threads, but we never find out more than that because they don't make their own thread.   Undecided /personal pet peeve

I've been away recently, so haven't been on the forum as much, but my goal in replying to some of these folk who give 15 short answers and then disappear is to try to engage them in conversation or encourage them to say more.  I don't know how successful that has been or might be, but that's what I'm trying to do!  It wouldn't be nearly as spammie if new folks posting 15 times right off the bat would at least say something substantial.  I know they can, there have been quite a few newbies who understand what we are trying to accomplish with our 15 post rule and actually share good things in their posts.  So I know it can be done, and it is done by many.  But the few who don't really stick out then.

Is there a way for a mod to discount some posts that are too short to count as proper posts?  It might encourage people to actually say more and discourage thinking that any little thing they post counts as good enough.  That may be too complicated for the system, though, to fine tune it in that way.  It would definitely involve monitoring and input from someone in order to explain to a new person that 15 posts of smilies or "me, too" doesn't really count as posting.   Wink  The person doing that would have to have the ability to delete posts, I suppose...

If we were going to start doing that, we might have to change the 15 post rule to include a minimum word count or something!

I agreed early on to be included as a possible mod, and I'm still willing to do that!  In the meantime, I'll just try to influence others for good with my own posts.   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: