News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 29, 2024, 02:18:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Star Driver - Kagayaki no Takuto

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Driver - Kagayaki no Takuto  (Read 416 times)
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:01:12 pm »

Because it freakin’ NEEDS its own thread, god damn it.

Star Driver – Kagayaki no Takuto  
(Radiant Takuto/Takuto of the Radiance)

Quote from: Anime News Network
On a cross-shaped island in the South, a mysterious and gigantic humanoid robot known as the "Cybuddy" is discovered sealed in the underground ruins for untold ages. A group known as the "Order of the Glittering Star Cross" attempts to remove the seal by abducting a girl named Wako Agemaki, who they dubbed the "shrine maiden" and is the key to activating the robot. A boy named Takuto Tsunashi arrives with his own Cybuddy named Tauburn to rescue Wako. Thus begins a struggle to unlock the secrets of the advanced technology and prevent disaster.

Original creator & Animation Production: BONES.
Director: Takuya Igarashi (Sailor Moon, Ouran High School Host Club, Soul Eater).
Scriptwiter: Yoji Enokido (Revolutionary Girl Utena, FLCL, Sailor Moon).
Original Character Design: Misa and Hiroka Mizuya.
Character Design & Animation Director: Yoshiyuki Ito (Fullmetal Alchemist).
Music: Satoru Kousaki (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Bakemonogatari, Lucky Star, Kannagi).
Mecha Design: Shigeto Koyama (Eureka Seven, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann).
Concept Design: Shinji Aramaki (Soul Eater).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click here to get your Star Driver fix!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I knew it the very same instance I laid my eyes on the trailer (which was completely by a fluke – I thought I was going for another series but instead I found this one); I JUST HAVE TO WATCH IT.

Now that I actually have started watching it… I must say that my expectations were not let down the slightest. The first episode of Star Driver was charming, adorable and delightfully camp! I loved every second of it! Sure, it’s way too early to determine if it’s going to be good or not, but GOD DAMN it’s going to be FABULOUS. Seriously, it has already out-fabed Code Geass by seven miles. In fact, if the show develops in the direction I think it will, then I assume the fandom will label this show as “The homosexual lovechild of Code Geass and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann”. If that hasn’t been done already... Wink
If I had to point some kind of flaw, then it would be that it felt slightly rushed. Some exposition would have been nice too, but honestly, we don’t need to get stuff showed down our throats in the first episode, and since it obviously makes us wonder and eager to answer the questions that the show rises, we’re guaranteed to come back. The scriptwriter knows what he’s doing. Cool

Speaking of which, the scriptwriter also wrote the scripts of FLCL and the absolutely stunning Revolutionary Girl Utena. Both series featured prominent themes of sexuality (which does not necessarily make them fanservicey, mind you), which makes me wonder if Star Driver will do the same? If Bones against all odds decide to be controversial, then I cross my fingers that they’ll take the Utena route and make EVERYONE bisexual. They are already setting up for a nice OT3.

All things considered, Star Driver definitely has potential to become good. Really good. I trust Bones not to screw this up. They have the staff of Ouran, Sailor Moon, Utena, Eureka Seven AND Gurren Lagann on their side - what could possibly go wrong? However, even if it against all odds DOES turn out to be a total trainwreck… I’ll still be willing to eat it all up as long as we get copious amounts of FABULOUS. Kiss

In conclusion? Fall season is saved.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:53:08 am by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:16:21 am »

Thanks for the review and the link, I'm definitely going to check it out!
Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 03:39:15 pm »

Oh, so you decided to give it a try? That's awesome to hear! Grin Hope you'll enjoy the first episode as much as I did, and that you'll come back to rant about how FABULOUS it is. Wink Either way, now I can actually look FORWARD to Mondays for 24 weeks ahead or something. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:59:49 pm »

The show is FABULOUS!! to say the least
Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm collecting the episodes and will get started soon.  I saw a trailer for it when I was watching some older episodes of something and it does look awesome!
Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 02:32:33 pm »

The show is FABULOUS!! to say the least

It really is! Don't you just feel how you grow manlier and manlier each second you watch it?

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm collecting the episodes and will get started soon.  I saw a trailer for it when I was watching some older episodes of something and it does look awesome!

I'm plenty sure Star Driver is a synonym for the word "aweosme". Wink I suggest you watch it as soon as possible, unless you want to wait till it's finished so you can watch it in one go. Well, that's certainly one way to go with - I almost get seizures because of the abstinence! - but I advice you to put on your sunglasses, otherwise you'll go blind from being exposed to so much sparkles for a prolonged time. Cool

Last episode was great! This show is giving me extremely strong Utena-vibes, and that's not understatement. I can't point out the exact reason as to why I feel this way, but I assume it is the way the story is told, with small revealations and new questions arising all the time and subtle foreshadowing (that move Takuto pulled in the third episode's battle was NOT an aspull, as unattentive people claim on other forums). Even if I didn't know beforehand that these two series shared the same writer, I'd still think "Wow, this is TOTALLY Utena meets mecha".
I guess it's starting to get formulatic, but then again, we're only three episodes in. Also, Utena had a freaking LOT of stock footage and sequences that occured in almost every second... but aside from those few minutes, you NEVER knew what was going to happen. It was filled with razor-sharp direction and STELLAR character development that I probably have yet to see in any other anime. And yes, the very first episodes of that anime weren't exactly masterpieces either, but come on! Give the show some time! Besides, it looks like the upcoming episode of Star Driver will feature a plot different from what we've seen before, so don't call this show trash before it even has gotten STARTED.

Oh, and for some reason uncalled, whenever I think of Star Driver, I can't help but hearing THIS SONG play in my head:

Star Driver AMVs set to Erasure's Always, GET! I called it.
Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:25:58 am »

Sparkles, eh?  I love shows that sparkle, lol!  I'll get a move on and catch up with it this week.  I've only been following the new Hakuouki this season, and I really have been feeling the need for something else to watch while I wait for that one to be subbed.
Report Spam   Logged

dullrath

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 12:10:43 am »

In all honesty the first half of the series with its monster of the week formula gets boring fast, it gets much better towards the end of the series though.
Favorite episode so far has gotta be the one with the nurse losing her fight with Takuto because she was checking him out was probably the funniest moment of the whole series.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:25:25 pm »

A little late, but... I finished this series, AND I LOVED EVERY SINGE MILISECOND OF IT!!!! It was not perfect, but it sucessfully did what it was supposed to do - entertain me. And boy, did it ever do that! I's SO importing the DVD box sets when they are released in English, which hopefully will be done by Bandai in the near future... They did upload a heavily mosaiced teaser picture on their Facebook page, and it looked suspiciously like a certain Galactic Pretty Boy to me. Grin I'm also hoping that there will be an OVA/special episode, because I don't want to say goodbye to the Southern Cross Island residents just yet. Wink Not rooting for a second season though, since that would be pretty pointless.

~YOUR GALAXY IS ALREADY SHINING~

Favorite episode so far has gotta be the one with the nurse losing her fight with Takuto because she was checking him out was probably the funniest moment of the whole series.

Ferk yeah, that moment was PRICELESS! Stupid on so many levels, but soooo hilarious! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:35:39 am »

I'm SO importing the DVD box sets when they are released in English, which hopefully will be done by Bandai in the near future... They did upload a heavily mosaiced teaser picture on their Facebook page, and it looked suspiciously like a certain Galactic Pretty Boy to me. Grin

Quote from: Anime New Network
The North American anime distributor Bandai Entertainment announced at its Sakura-Con panel on Saturday that it acquired the Star Driver Kagayaki no Takuto television anime series.
Full article: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-23/bandai-ent-adds-star-driver-kagayaki-no-takuto-anime

See? I fuckin' knew it. Cool Let's hope they include a dub (especially if it's a gag one like FUNimation did for Hetalia) and loads of bonus material! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

bedlamwolf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 04:50:44 pm »

Haha, I was just going to post here that it's been picked up, guess I don't have to now, though. PLEASE let the translations and cast NOT suck~
Report Spam   Logged

I don't know, I don't dig giant robots so much as I dig GUYS who DRIVE giant robots.

Watching a good anime while it's airing is like drinking water with a bottle-cap when you're really thirsty.
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:50:40 pm »

Hmm. Accodring to this post on LJ, Bandai's release of Star Driver will most likely be subtitle-only.

What do you think of this? Sure, I usually watch anime subbed (because either way I'll have a language barrier to overcome, if you catch my drift), but this time, I was actually looking forward to hear the series dubbed. Come on, who doesn't want to hear that campy dialogue shouted in English? How lulzy fabulous wouldn't it be to hear someone scream "ARE YOU THE GALACTIC PRETTY BOOOYYY??!!" on top of his lungs? Or what about Takuto's "Dazzling the stage!"? It would be so awesome! Not that it wasn't awesome in Japanese already (the way they acted out their characters and read their lines and what not), and YES, dubbing DOES cost money, but... yeah. I just want to hear it in a language similar to my native tongue so I can have a full grip on how much lulz Star Driver is made of. Wink
Also, not having a dub of it makes it harder to market towards English-speaking audiences, so now the series lost a lot of potential buyers. Smooth move, Bandai.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 03:31:37 pm »

There is a Star Driver movie coming up!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-30/producer-takeda/star-driver-film-plans-in-the-works

Whether it'll be just a compilation movie or an alternate take on the story with new animation is not known, but either way, I'm gonna watch the SHIT out of this movie when I can get my hands on it. Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: