News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 29, 2024, 02:11:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Latest chapter discussion

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest chapter discussion  (Read 4951 times)
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 08:04:16 am »

Umm... what's the relationship between Raitei/Ginji in Infinity Fortress again?
I'm lost... Sad

Oh, basically in this volume it describes  Ginji's power in Ratei mode.

SPOILER
Basically Ginji's ability in Ratei mode allows him to take all electrical energy from the Infinity Fortress, which is suppose to have infinite energy source. (His normal mode cannot absorb that much energy or in such short time.) His ability in Ratei mode to absorb energy in chapter 8 is said to exceed the amount of energy that is generated by Infinite Fortress even though it supposedly infinite. It just means that he is so strong in Ratei mode due to his ability that allows he can manipulate Infinity Fortress' energy. (Ginji power as Ratei = Infinity Fortress electrical = infinite power) He can take energy from it as he within close distance of it with exception when he is angry. When he angry, he take energy at farther distance as seen in beginning of The Eternal Bond arch, dealing with Shido's past.

In this chapter we also learn that Ratei is vulnerable during this time if there isn't sufficient electricity available to support his "need."  The fact that Der Kaiser is staging this whole incident as a means of depleting that electricity and taking over the Archive -- and thuse sacrificing Ratei/Ginji in the process -- really pisses me off!   Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 08:07:14 am »

Yeah! I understand you mean! You understand  some of the connection, but overall it somewhat still confusing. The Getbacker's plotline tend to be like that. Deep and Intricate. Like Caculus C, you understand what the equations are for but you aren't too sure how to use it...I did alright in that class, but still got a C... Angry

Deep and intricate plot lines are confusing, indeed -- but that makes it all the more worthwhile rereading several times, because one always finds something new to understand!

And I really think that it's not going to be possible to fully "get it" until the very end -- I don't think even the Getbackers understand everything yet, either!
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 06:09:07 pm »

Deep and intricate plot lines are confusing, indeed -- but that makes it all the more worthwhile rereading several times, because one always finds something new to understand!

And I really think that it's not going to be possible to fully "get it" until the very end -- I don't think even the Getbackers understand everything yet, either!

That why we love it! We love the complicated plotline and mysterious charcters! Its Ok if we don't get it as long as we enjoy it that all that matters in the end! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 07:15:33 am »

Late reply is late.

This chapter had so much content in it, it didn't feel like it was just twenty pages long! It's amazing how the mangaka can put so much story and character development in one chapter without making it seem too crammed or rushed. 95 % of all other shounen mangas have mountains of lessons to learn from Get Backers!

Juubei is AWESOME. His undying devotion and determination was greatly fleshed out in those flashbacks. In more ways than one, he truly is the most honorable character in this series. Good display of Sakura's loyalty too - she is just as much of a samurai as her brother is!
The way he PWNED that Ura-Fuuchouin thug can be summarized by a big fat FUCK YEAH!! He just calmly walked up to that ugly monster, gave him a FINGER POKE OF D00M and then walked back as the winner. If that's not badass then I don't know what is.

I was REALLY surprised at Der Kaiser's statement at the last page; I always figured Kagami to be a joker who freely switches sides (like Akabane) or a pawn working for a greater mastermind, so to have him being the one who actually planned and set everything in motion was, for a lack of better word, WHOAH!!! Didn't see that coming!

As usual, I'm eagerly anticipating the next chapter~
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:50:41 am by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 07:38:46 pm »

Oh, it is definitely worth the wait! Just a little more! And you will see this shocking chapter!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:58 am »

Juubei is AWESOME. His undying devotion and determination was greatly fleshed out in those flashbacks. In more ways than one, he truly is the most honorable character in this series. Good display of Sakura's loyalty too - she is just as much of a samurai as her brother is!
The way he PWNED that Ura-Fuuchouin thug can be summarized by a big fat FUCK YEAH!! He just calmly walked up to that ugly monster, gave him a FINGER POKE OF D00M and then walked back as the winner. If that's not badass then I don't know what is.

Amen!   Cheesy  Juubei is so impressive it leaves me breathless!  Holding that huge thing off with one finger, and then just turning away with no more thought of it -- that's confidence!  And the fact that everything he does is tied to his loyalty makes it even more awesome!

Oh, it is definitely worth the wait! Just a little more! And you will see this shocking chapter!

I may have said this before, but it's worth mentioning again.  I've seen all the raws of the coming chapters (because I couldn't stand not knowing what happens) -- but looking at the pictures doesn't hold a candle to seeing it translated in all its awesomeness!  I really was not getting the full impact of such amazing chapters like this one -- I soooo can't wait for the next one now!   Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 06:16:31 am »

I may have said this before, but it's worth mentioning again.  I've seen all the raws of the coming chapters (because I couldn't stand not knowing what happens) -- but looking at the pictures doesn't hold a candle to seeing it translated in all its awesomeness!  I really was not getting the full impact of such amazing chapters like this one -- I soooo can't wait for the next one now!   Shocked

Eh!! You peeked! Well, I understand. It was getting a bit exciting with what happening. "Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction revived it!" People always forget about the last half of statement...that is it is alright to be curious! Half time I know I shouldn't look/ask and I do anyway!
Report Spam   Logged
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 08:40:59 pm »

Eh!! You peeked! Well, I understand. It was getting a bit exciting with what happening. "Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction revived it!" People always forget about the last half of statement...that is it is alright to be curious! Half time I know I shouldn't look/ask and I do anyway!

Yes, I peeked!  I'm actually a person who likes to know how things end -- oddly enough, I can relax and enjoy the in-between parts better if I know how things are going to turn out, even if I don't know all the details.  Somehow it doesn't actually spoil anything for me; rather, it enhances the approach to the ending, if you know what I mean!  I'm much more satisfied if I know, and I think I pay better attention to the rest of it because of it.  I'm just odd like that, lol!    Cool
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 07:00:47 am »

Oh, yeah! I do that too! Books that I read I usually look at the ending before I even begin to read it! The only time I don't look at the ending if I REALLY know about about author/authoress of book. IN fact, I was soo curious at only look at the end of Getbackers so I could see if it ended happy. I can't ignore my urge...but it was worth to see the ending! Now I can relax about ending of this series...
Report Spam   Logged
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 03:38:24 pm »

Few notes on chapter 3:

- Slight screw-up by me. Not a huge deal, but on the last page of the chapter Paul doesn't say "lost time" he says "stolen time." Oh well.

- On that note: They usually mention the Infinity Fortress in connection with the "Lost Time" (ushinawareta toki). When Paul talks about the Infinity Fortress appearing during the recession, he's referring to Japan's big recession of the 1990s, which the Japanese sometimes call the "Lost Decade" (ushinawareta juunen). It's a neat parallel.

- I've never heard of an Intelligent Building before. I looked it up and I guess they're a type of office building that became popular in the '80s, especially in Japan. They've got things like automated blinds and heating systems connected to motion detectors and stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 06:12:54 pm »

- Slight screw-up by me. Not a huge deal, but on the last page of the chapter Paul doesn't say "lost time" he says "stolen time." Oh well.
Oh really! "Lost time" sounds a lot cooler than "stolen time!" Plus the arc is also called "Lost Time"

- On that note: They usually mention the Infinity Fortress in connection with the "Lost Time" (ushinawareta toki). When Paul talks about the Infinity Fortress appearing during the recession, he's referring to Japan's big recession of the 1990s, which the Japanese sometimes call the "Lost Decade" (ushinawareta juunen). It's a neat parallel.

Hmm...I did not know that! IN Fact, I did not even know about the Japan's recession of 1990s being called "Lost Decade."

- I've never heard of an Intelligent Building before. I looked it up and I guess they're a type of office building that became popular in the '80s, especially in Japan. They've got things like automated blinds and heating systems connected to motion detectors and stuff.

Me neither. Who says you don't learn anything when you read manga!  Wink I learned a lot about killing methods and poision from reading/watching Detective Conan! Arrrr...maybe that is NOT a good example...
Report Spam   Logged
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 11:53:21 am »

Couple notes for chapter 4:

-Natsumi, Rena, and the customer all call Paul "Master." It's an English loan-word for a manager or a bar owner. I change it to "Mr. Wan" because two teenage girls calling old dude "Master" sounds pretty creepy in English Grin

-I also noticed a couple fuckups. Not huge, but I may as well mention them:

::When Paul's leaving, I misread the verb tense. He literally says "Yo, Partner. // I've found you. / Your location."

::Teshimine says that Ban is pretty famous in the "ura no sekai" (裏の世界), the "underworld." I wasn't sure about it at first, and I forgot to change it once I figured it out. 

I learned a lot about killing methods and poision from reading/watching Detective Conan! Arrrr...maybe that is NOT a good example...

lol, btw  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 07:35:26 pm »

-Natsumi, Rena, and the customer all call Paul "Master." It's an English loan-word for a manager or a bar owner. I change it to "Mr. Wan" because two teenage girls calling old dude "Master" sounds pretty creepy in English Grin

Hee hee...it is fine! I would definitely change that too! It can be soo misinterpreted....from a slave/master relationship to disciple/master. Neither one would be good!

::When Paul's leaving, I misread the verb tense. He literally says "Yo, Partner. // I've found you. / Your location."

::Teshimine says that Ban is pretty famous in the "ura no sekai" (裏の世界), the "underworld." I wasn't sure about it at first, and I forgot to change it once I figured it out.

Those two are only small difference. Barely , noticable! Grin I would not even notice it if you hadn't mention! Wink

Report Spam   Logged
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 04:41:38 pm »

I have really enjoyed the last couple of chapters; I can't quite put my finger on why, except maybe because we are learning more about what makes some key characters tick, and it's not quite what I expected.  This interlude between one story arc and the next is fascinating as we learn more about some of the key people who have up to now been in the background -- Paul, Der Kaiser, and Teshimine-san.  I am really fascinated by what is being revealed about Ban's father, and I am really beginning to wonder what will happen when he and Paul finally meet.

It's so interesting that both Ginji and Ban each have a mysterious parent and to find out more about them they have to go to Babylon City.

I love it that they hire each other to get back an important person they each have lost!  I was afraid for a tiny minute there that Ban would succeed in making Ginji stay behind.  But of course, Ginji wouldn't allow that, lol!  I'm also very relieved that Kazuki is going to let Shido help him; I'm worried about him at the moment, he seems to be acting out of character!

Anyway, these have been a great couple of chapters!  I continue to rejoice that I am able to enjoy them and read them and know that the next one will be coming soon.  What a blessing to have them translated and scanned!!!   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 04:44:16 pm »

Couple notes for chapter 4:

-I also noticed a couple fuckups. Not huge, but I may as well mention them:

I really appreciate the translation notes!!  Thanks so much for sharing things you struggled with, as well as extra background info on things you discover as you do your translations.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: