News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
April 17, 2024, 09:34:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Latest chapter discussion

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest chapter discussion  (Read 4972 times)
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2010, 06:12:24 am »

Yes thank you for the wonderful notes and other revelant info that you tell us board. I left what ever notes I could in background cause I think they add more depth to story! As for the bios was let say unpleasant to edit, but I have a better understanding of where each group belongs to! As for those small writing...I don't think it is necessary since the handwriting looks like chicken scratch...really bad images even if you could translate it...
Report Spam   Logged
sharkshocker

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »

Very good chapter, got to see GB (and Paul) fight as well as Kazuki, so I'm very satisfied.

I like the way Kazuki described his strength, "someone who has stepped beyond" sounds really cool.

Sorry, this part just made me laugh.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

PSN ID: shark_shocker
Aphastral

The Pedestrian

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 10:24:16 pm »

Kazuki & Paul rox  Grin.

Edit by Vent the North - be careful with spoilers, especially about what fights are coming up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:20:20 pm by Vent the North » Report Spam   Logged
Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2010, 02:21:22 pm »

Kazuki & Paul rox  Grin.

I had to edit your post because of spoilers, be careful about that, a lot of people on here haven't read the raws.

Report Spam   Logged

darkido

Peace<:

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2010, 07:33:31 pm »

Very good chapter, got to see GB (and Paul) fight as well as Kazuki, so I'm very satisfied.

I like the way Kazuki described his strength, "someone who has stepped beyond" sounds really cool.

Sorry, this part just made me laugh.  Tongue

hahha..that's a tad funny..Ban's dad looks so young!

Now I'm more intrigued by the Stigma. Seems like it's not just for show!
Report Spam   Logged
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2010, 07:37:23 am »

Everyone is showing how badass they are...well, except Ban and Ginji! They just mature and grown stronger anyway! Well, at least we get to see what stigma represents...and thought it was just something they got for going up tower! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2010, 10:15:20 am »

Haven't made any notes in a while, but here's some trivia from the latest chapter.

The line where Paul says "I just gotta carb up and I'll be good as new (I used to be a runner)."  I just kinda made that up. Sorry Wink The actual line is "If I eat a Glico Caramel, I'll be good as new! (Don't you know they say "One candy, 300 meters"?)

Glico Caramels are a famous Japanese candy (Glico is the company that makes Pocky too, incidentally). The box shows a picture of a runner and says "One candy, 300 meters; Tastes great and gives you strength"

According to Wikipedia, the box says that because the calories in a single candy produce exactly enough energy for a 300 meter run. Funny.
Report Spam   Logged
Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 01:22:09 am »

Haven't made any notes in a while, but here's some trivia from the latest chapter.

The line where Paul says "I just gotta carb up and I'll be good as new (I used to be a runner)."  I just kinda made that up. Sorry Wink The actual line is "If I eat a Glico Caramel, I'll be good as new! (Don't you know they say "One candy, 300 meters"?)

Glico Caramels are a famous Japanese candy (Glico is the company that makes Pocky too, incidentally). The box shows a picture of a runner and says "One candy, 300 meters; Tastes great and gives you strength"

According to Wikipedia, the box says that because the calories in a single candy produce exactly enough energy for a 300 meter run. Funny.

I think that rather then changing the whole translation, you could just leave the direct translation, but write a translators note saying what the translation means.

In this case you could just explain what Glico Caramel is in then note.

And again, thanks for all your hard work shisui. Its cool to know some of the tidbits of information you write here, that aren't stated in the manga.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:23:46 am by Vent the North » Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 08:05:14 am »

I love having these extra bits of knowledge shared about what things mean -- this in particular seems like a good substitute which means the same thing, or at least something similar.  Even so, it's nice to be able to learn about what it means literally and why!

I think I'm going to make notes on all the little extra tidbits you've shared here and put them in text documents in my saved chapter folders with the appropriate chapter.  That way I can always remember and keep things together!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2010, 09:24:53 am »

I think that rather then changing the whole translation, you could just leave the direct translation, but write a translators note saying what the translation means.

In this case you could just explain what Glico Caramel is in then note.

Normally I would. But in this case there was a bit too much info to convey with just a note in the margin. I prefer to have the scans make sense and be easy to read. And if you want some deeper info, you can come read my posts  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Arkanta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2010, 02:30:50 pm »

What interesting candy XD Thanks for the explanation ^_^

Normally I would. But in this case there was a bit too much info to convey with just a note in the margin.
May be you can add a extra page at the end of the chapter with a note? °°
Report Spam   Logged

Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2010, 03:41:35 pm »

That would've been a good idea actually. I'll consider doing that for stuff like this in the future (if somehow_here is cool with adding it, that is). Of course, a lot of my notes here haven't really been significant enough to warrant that Wink

Report Spam   Logged
Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2010, 01:53:07 am »

That would've been a good idea actually. I'll consider doing that for stuff like this in the future (if somehow_here is cool with adding it, that is). Of course, a lot of my notes here haven't really been significant enough to warrant that Wink

Im fine with having a extra page at the end of the chapter which explains what some of the hard to understand text means. If SH is ok with it then my vote goes towards this idea.
Report Spam   Logged

Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2010, 09:45:40 am »

I doubt it would be an all-the-time thing. More like every once in a while. I'm gonna start adding more notes in the panel gutters though, starting with chapter 8; but it won't be anything excessive.
Report Spam   Logged
yathaid

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2010, 02:59:56 am »

<choke> <gasp> <gasp>... when is vol 31 chapter 7 out? <gasp> <choke>  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: