News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
April 20, 2024, 08:09:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Latest chapter discussion

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest chapter discussion  (Read 4995 times)
digianimegirl

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 03:26:22 pm »

I just wanted to say Thank you to everyone that works so hard to get the manga out to us masses.

I'm not one to post...well anything and I'll try to say it more often, but I wanted to at least say this one big Thank you.

When Tokyopop....well they were bakas....screwed us over with getting the manga I despaired ever finding out what happened, but then this group appeared and I was ecstatic to find that we would get to see the end.

You have done us a great courtesy and I give my sincerest thanks for all of your hard work
Report Spam   Logged
nooooobie

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:03 am »

Thanks for the tidbit on what "fumi-e" is, Shisui.  Smiley

Anyone has an idea about the origin of the strange creatures in beltline?
Report Spam   Logged
Aphastral

The Pedestrian

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 11:41:14 am »

^ they were probably made to stand guard against curious people who decide to check out the "truth" of Babylon City.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2010, 12:35:27 pm »

Wow.... It's been a while since I posted here. Almost an entire volume? Gah.

First of all, I want to say a whole-hearted THANK YOU to Shisui for providing background information in addition to the regular translations. It gives a lot more insight on the series. Keep it up! You are a HERO! Is it too much to ask for translations of the character bios? I'd love to read those...

The sudden abduction of Himiko and Kazuki's harem came out of nowhere and SHELL-SHOCKED ME! FFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!
But it is also a splendid example of how Get Backers goes AGAINST the mainstream in shounen mangas. Usually in tournament arcs like these, it goes on like forever and EACH and EVERY character gets fights that takes several chapters, but here... They just "SUCCESSFUL TROLL, LULZ". Thanks for that. Actual PLOT is so much more entertaining than endless fights.

The little Interlude arc was nice and both a great aftermath of the previous arc ~and~ an amazing set-up for the last arc. Pauls flashbacks finally confirmed what had been foreshadowed at forever - that he was one of the original Get Backers. Together with Der Kaiser, none less! Must... resist... urge... to... draw... Paul... Kaiser... slash... fanart... argh...!

I didn't expect Ujie Kaoru to show up in the manga, since her first appearance was in the anime! However, I have always wondered what she would look like if Ayamine was to draw her instead of Nakajima Atsuko so it was nice having that question answered. Though I still think Nakajima draws her prettier....  Wink I wonder if her personality is the same as in the anime, basically her being a Yandere for Ginji? Well, time will tell.

Nooooo Kazuki, not your pretty, flowing Rapunzel hair! Cry

I loved the Shido/Madoka scene. We've already had it established that they are adorable and share an Eternal Bond, but yet every scene they have together make their chemistry grow stronger and stronger. It's lovely to watch.

But most of all.... I love to watch Ban and Ginji. Honeys, you never cease to amaze me with how you two can make me simultaneously laugh, cry and squee just by being yourselves. The 100-Yen scene seriously made me cry. So.... Unbelieveably.... Beautiful. You really could feel the trust and loyalty they have for each other. Same thing when they entered the Infinity Fortress and remembered how they first met. One look and you understand how far they have gotten since that time. And it's all thanks to one being there for another and vice versa.

So now they are going up, up to the sky. What dangers, adventures and emotional turmoils awaits them at the end of the stairway? I don't have the faintest clue. This manga is too amazing for stupid me to fully comprehend or predict. But I'm sure that as long as our unstoppable Get Backers stick together - for we all know that the "S" in "Get Backers" means neither of them is alone - they can do everything. And they will.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:04:14 pm by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
darkido

Peace<:

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2010, 03:08:50 pm »

^ they were probably made to stand guard against curious people who decide to check out the "truth" of Babylon City.

But aren't they under Der Kaiser who is fighting against Babylon City??
Report Spam   Logged
Aphastral

The Pedestrian

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2010, 07:48:53 pm »

But aren't they under Der Kaiser who is fighting against Babylon City??

whoops, forgot about Der Kaiser. The lines between characters' factions have been getting blurred lately it's hard to keep on tracks. I guess they were created by Kaiser, then; or he must have subdued them somehow.
Report Spam   Logged
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 01:46:11 pm »

First of all, I want to say a whole-hearted THANK YOU to Shisui for providing background information in addition to the regular translations. It gives a lot more insight on the series. Keep it up! You are a HERO! Is it too much to ask for translations of the character bios? I'd love to read those...

I aim to please  Wink

I did the bios for the beginning of volume 31, btw. So you'll get them in the next chapter. But don't expect any mindblowing revelations. It's just really basic info like "Der Kaiser: Ban's dad."
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 04:53:27 pm »

I aim to please  Wink

I did the bios for the beginning of volume 31, btw. So you'll get them in the next chapter. But don't expect any mindblowing revelations. It's just really basic info like "Der Kaiser: Ban's dad."

Volume 31? Oh, I was thinking of translations of the bios in... was it volume 30? The ones that contained info on the characters than showed up during the Eternal Bond arc. Seemed to me like there was lots of funny stuff to read on those pages. Wink But the bios you have translated for the next chapter will surely be nice to read too!
Report Spam   Logged

sngsun

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 10:56:39 pm »

haven't read the new ones yet =(
Report Spam   Logged
sharkshocker

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 09:31:00 am »

Ah, I thought that GB would have to go through some lackeys first before fighting some of the bigger enemies...well I guess they did on that one panel  Tongue  Excited nonetheless! 

And I'd like to see how Kazuki does against those Ura Fuuchoin...liked the way how he showed the stigma, but too bad I kinda knew about it beforehand  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

PSN ID: shark_shocker
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 12:53:04 pm »

More notes!

I said in the chapter that Fuuchouin means "House of the Bird of Paradise" and Kokuchouin means "House of the Black Swan." Thought I'd expand on that.

The name Fuuchouin is made of 3 characters: 風 (fuu - wind/style) 鳥 (chou - bird) 院 (in - suffix for names meaning temple/house; probably shouldn't be literally translated, but I did it anyway  Wink)

A fuuchou (風鳥) is a bird of paradise. They're known for their long elaborate plumage. Pretty fitting for Kazuki.

It's also kinda similar to the Japanese word for phoenix: fushichou (不死鳥 - undying bird). Just a thought Smiley

Fuuga borrows the first character from Fuuchouin. Fuuga (風雅) means grace/refinement.

Kokuchou (黒鳥) means black swan (it literally means black bird, and a regular swan is a hakuchou 白鳥 - white bird). A black swan can be a metaphor for something that isn't supposed to exist but then appears unpredictably. Also, it just sounds cool  Cool

Btw, Ban's nickname for Makube X is "hikki," short for "hikikomori." You might have heard about this. It's a kind of social disorder in Japan where people withdraw from society and become shut-ins, because they're overwhelmed by anxiety, social pressure, bullying, etc. I don't think there's an equivalent idea outside Japan, so I just change it to "geek boy" or "poindexter." Heh.

Volume 31? Oh, I was thinking of translations of the bios in... was it volume 30? The ones that contained info on the characters than showed up during the Eternal Bond arc. Seemed to me like there was lots of funny stuff to read on those pages. Wink But the bios you have translated for the next chapter will surely be nice to read too!

The bios at the beginning of each volume all seem pretty much the same. They don't tell you anything you wouldn't know just from reading the manga. If you tell me the specific one you want I can translate it for you though.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:56:43 pm by Shisui » Report Spam   Logged
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 02:14:26 pm »

More notes!

I just love your notes!  I learn about so many cool details and layers of meaning!  Thanks so much!
Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 02:55:01 pm »

Another double chapter; twice as many impressions and double the amount of pure AWESOMENESS!

Kazuki, your coat is FABULOUS!

Oh, and there is absolutely NOTHING symbolic in the way Maiya is always suckling on something phallic in every panel she appears in, no sir!

GOD that spread of Ginji and Ban laying there like bloody pulps really had my heart beating! …. Until I noticed the “Just one minute!”. Wink Them looking into the camera was super cute and hilarious too! My reaction to those panels was identical to Maiya’s. XD

… Is it very wrong that my first thought when I saw Kazuki’s stigma (well, after the initial “WTF AWESOME” response) was “I wonder what the other characters would have said if he accidentally had dropped his contact during an earlier arc?”. XD

And now Ban and Ginji are fighting Miss Jailbait and Mr Generic Brute… Please kick their asses, GB!

Again, thank you Shisui for your translation notes I really like it that you TRANSLATE even things that don't have a good equivalent in English, by replacing it with something similar. That's really admirable, and it doesn't stop the flow of the story. I can really see it before me if Get Backers got a second anime (HAHAHA IN MY DREAMS), fansubbers would just leave those things intact and have distracting notes on top of the screen.... Brrrr!

The bios at the beginning of each volume all seem pretty much the same. They don't tell you anything you wouldn't know just from reading the manga. If you tell me the specific one you want I can translate it for you though.

Uhm, those aren't the pages I have mind... I was thinking of the pages that look like THESE, which features quick doodles of the characters and the artist's notes about them. I know that the bios in the beginning of each volume don't give much, but these pages intrigue me greatly. Because I think it's fun to see what Ayamine himself though of the characters, how it was to draw them and so on. I'm an artist myself, see (though absolutely not a pro on the same level as Ayamine Rando, of course!), so it's interesting for me to see his thoughts behind what he draws. Which is why I'd also like to see translations of the notes and omakes at the end of each volume. Both me and those of my friends who read Get Backers have commented on that those little omakes, with Ayamine and his staff struggling to make it do the dealine, is just spot-on. XD We're comic artists as well, so we know the feeling!

BUT you should ONLY do the translations IF you have enough time for it and think it's worth it~ You don't have to go out of your way just to please ONE rabid little fangirl. Wink I MEAN IT!!
Report Spam   Logged

Arkanta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2010, 04:37:18 am »

These latest chapters were fantastic as always **
The dialogue between Eimishi and Macubex was full of meaning *_* Finally we know something more about Yohan, I was very curious about him...
And Ginji is tooooo cute XDDDDD

Thank you Shisui for your notes ** I really love them, I can understand better the background of GBs *_*
These in particular were interesting **

A fuuchou (風鳥) is a bird of paradise. They're known for their long elaborate plumage. Pretty fitting for Kazuki.

It's also kinda similar to the Japanese word for phoenix: fushichou (不死鳥 - undying bird). Just a thought Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2010, 09:02:48 am »

Thanks guys

Again, thank you Shisui for your translation notes I really like it that you TRANSLATE even things that don't have a good equivalent in English, by replacing it with something similar. That's really admirable, and it doesn't stop the flow of the story. I can really see it before me if Get Backers got a second anime (HAHAHA IN MY DREAMS), fansubbers would just leave those things intact and have distracting notes on top of the screen.... Brrrr!

Yeah, I hate that too. I'm sure they think that makes the translation more "authentic" in some way. But if you're breaking the flow of the dialogue with obscure Japanese words, that's not a very "authentic" experience at all.

But I still like that info, and I know other people do too, so I just post everything I notice here instead  Cool

Uhm, those aren't the pages I have mind... I was thinking of the pages that look like THESE, which features quick doodles of the characters and the artist's notes about them. I know that the bios in the beginning of each volume don't give much, but these pages intrigue me greatly. Because I think it's fun to see what Ayamine himself though of the characters, how it was to draw them and so on. I'm an artist myself, see (though absolutely not a pro on the same level as Ayamine Rando, of course!), so it's interesting for me to see his thoughts behind what he draws. Which is why I'd also like to see translations of the notes and omakes at the end of each volume. Both me and those of my friends who read Get Backers have commented on that those little omakes, with Ayamine and his staff struggling to make it do the dealine, is just spot-on. XD We're comic artists as well, so we know the feeling!

Oh...THOSE pages...heh. Sorry, I would if I could, but all that tiny, hand-written Japanese shorthand is above my pay grade  Cry I can only make out bits and pieces, and I can't even look up the words I don't know.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: