News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 06:50:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Latest chapter discussion

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest chapter discussion  (Read 4939 times)
Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2010, 05:15:25 pm »

It's been a while, so let's have some more notes!

The Fuuchouin use a bunch of confusing terms that I probably should have researched a little better before this. I'm going to be more consistent with them from now on.

1. Souke (宗家) - This term can refer to the main branch of a group of families/clans, and it can also refer to the head of the main branch family as an individual. So Kazuki's family is the "souke," and Kazuki's dad is also the "souke."  I'm gonna translate the first sense as "Head Family" and the second as "Clan Head."

The Head Family is generally determined by the lineage of the eldest son. This is why Kazuki, being the eldest son of the Head Family, is considered the successor to the Fuuchouin. If you read Naruto, the Hyuuga have the same sort of heirarchy. Hinata is part of the Heady Family like Kazuki, and Neji is part of a branch family like Saizou.

The issue with Yohan in the volume 31 flashback was that they wanted the Kokuchouin to take over as the new Head Family, and for Yohan to become the new Clan Head. But Kazuki's dad wouldn't allow it (because Yohan's a fuckin' psycho and all).

2. Soushu (宗主) - This is the leader of a family/clan/etc. But I think it's a term that's only used between the leaders of the branches themselves and not by lower members. I'm not 100% on it, really. As I understand it, Kazuki's dad and Saizou's dad would both call each other "Soushu", but Saizou's dad calls Kazuki's dad "Soushu-sama" because Kazuki's dad is from the head family. I just translate it as "Lord" for lack of a better English word.

3. Ura / Omote (裏/表) - Roughly, "ura" means "hidden/underside" and "omote" means "public/top side." The Fuuchouin has its "Ura" side (the Ura-Fuuchouin) which stays hidden and does nasty things in the shadows, and everyone else is on the "Omote" side. I don't translate "Ura" since it pops up so much, but "Omote" I translate into "Mainline" because I think it's clearer that way.

3. Ougi (奥義) - Most of the names for the bowstring arts techniques Kazuki and Saizou use are "chuu-den" - "middle grade." The dragon and firebird techniques they used in this chaper were "ougi-den," which I called "master grade." "Ougi" means like "secret teachings," but in this context it implies like a secret super technique that only a real badass can use.

4. In this chapter Kazuki and Saizou use the honorific "-dono" with each other. I translated it as "master" (*gasp* I know! You'll have to deal Cool).

Shit. That was a lot. Hopefully that's it for a while. Heh.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: