News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 29, 2024, 07:15:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Have you made others watch/read Get Backers?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you made others watch/read Get Backers?  (Read 950 times)
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2010, 04:53:59 pm »

The fact that Get Backers is an amazing anime and heavenly fantastic manga is an established fact for most of us. Otherwise you wouldn’t be here on this very forum, would you? Naturally, you’d want to spread the word about this manga to others and hopefully spark an interest about the series to them. So the purpose of this thread is essentially; did you succeed? Did you make people you know either read or watch Get Backers?

I’ll start by telling you about my couple of successes! Incidentally, all these people I’ll talk about have accounts on deviantART since we were all artists who attended to the same comic school till only a few months ago!, so in this post I’m going to refer to them by their DA names, to avoid having to write “my friend” or “another friend” one trillion times. That would be just irritating for YOU to read as well.

My first poor victim was BUBBLE89. Or maybe “victim” is the wrong word, for even if I had been driving the rest of my comic school classmates mad with my constant fangirling, apparently it had the opposite effect on her. She was severely hyped up on this series… especially with everything concerned Ginji. Wink She pretty much fell for him even before watching the series, just by hearing me talk about him. And what can I say except… she was ten times WORSE when we were done watching the anime. So now we were two squealing fangirls constantly cackling about “LOL SQUEE GB PWNS”. XD She reads the manga as well, and if you’re familiar with another thread on this board called Favorite drawing, you’ll know I surprised her by giving her a… Cool
But enough of that! Here are a few of her GB fanarts:
GB for Lovux, which she gave to me as a birthday present. <3
An artdump, which includes our eponymous heroes.
Twins, as shoujo as it can get! (if the image doesn't show, try viewing it by clicking the "Download" button on the sidebar)
Venus de Milo, so to speak. XD
And last but not least, her deviantART ID – do you recognize that chibi? <3

As surprising as it sounds, Sanjoh was actually reading the manga before me. The day after I had finished the anime, I came to school and was al lyrical about the series and talked about how much I looked forward to read the manga… so during a computer lesson only a few hours later, she was reading it on MangaFox. And it also served as the first clue of how lewd the manga is compared to its anime adaption. She only read like three volumes or so, then “didn’t mind it anymore”. But when BUBBLE89 and I watched the anime together a second time, we made her watch it with us, and she… enjoyed it. XD I believe Shido was her favourite.

I guess I should also say that the three of us used to be neighbours during this time. Just twenty meters straight over a lawn and ta-dah! So, I came over to them almost every day and we did a lot of stuff together, including watching several TV shows, and during longer breaks or between the different shows, we usually watched one of the stand-alone episodes of GB because we just couldn’t have enough of the series. So in a way, the reason why GB makes me so happy is not only because it’s a superb anime/manga – it’s because it reminds me of my friends from the time when I was attending to the comic arts school! Kiss

BUBBLE89 and I pretty much convinced Geminick to try this series on by showing her a few of the anime artworks. More precisely, the Ban/Ginji ones and a few featuring the bishoujos. So I lent her out my quite newly arrived DVD boxes, and less than a week later, she came back and squealed “I loved it! And I saw Kazuki’s buttcrack in the hot spring episode!”.  Cheesy

… In a way, you could say that  Valerei discovered GB a long time ahead of me. She had bought the first volume of the manga a few years ago and quite liked it… if it wasn’t for Hevn’s senseless, gravity-defying body physics. I have tried to convince her to keep on reading, but she just can’t stand the way Ayamine draws female bodies. She even admits it herself that it’s shame, because she is greatly intrigued by the series, as she wants to confirm whether or not it’s as awesome as BUBBLE89 and I make it sound. When she paid me a visit recently, she was contemplating if we could marathon the anime, but we ended up watching my all-time favourite anime Ginga Nagareboshi Gin instead. Sorry GB, but GNG makes a batter anime than you.
Fun fact: The first volume I own of the GB manga is actually the very volume she bought. Oh, and she says “Ginji-kun, aaah~” so often that it borders on being her verbal tic. XD
Here is her interpretation of the initials that are G and B, posted on another DA account she uses exclusively for fanart.

And that probably seems like it. I can has pretentious walls of text.

Now, share me your stories! Grin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:03:16 am by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »

Wow, you are a very influential person!   Grin  Excellent!  What fun to have such pleasant memories associated with a favorite anime!

I have only influenced one person, and that was my son.  When I first started getting interested in anime and manga, it was under his guidance, so for a long time, we watched what he liked -- and of course, I liked it, too!  But eventually I got to feeling like branching out, and because of my penchant for watching things because of the actor/voice actor, I started exploring what was out there that starred or featured the seiyuu I had come to respect.

Get Backers was the first one I checked out, and as is typical with me when I'm smitten, I watched pretty much all the episodes in one or two sittings.   Cheesy  Then I informed my son that he had to watch this show I'd discovered!   Grin  He had heard of it, so was willing to try it out, and that was that.  We haven't watched it together yet, but that's a plan for a future time when we have some time on our hands.

He hasn't kept up with manga as much as the anime, though he did read all the Tokyopop editions I had on the shelf, which was maybe half a dozen at the time.  I'll get him to start reading them again now that we actually are going to see the remaining volumes translated!  *cheers*

*goes off to check out everyone's art at DA*
Report Spam   Logged

Verdugo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 01:29:25 pm »

i have made a friend buy the first 5 dvds , ( so i could borrow them xD )
Report Spam   Logged
juan1julian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:11:24 am »

I tried to make my girldfriend watch the anime, but she says anime is for kids O.o
Report Spam   Logged
brandonbrandon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 10:22:22 pm »

i made my friend watch the anime and read most of the manga :3
Report Spam   Logged
puink414

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:57:28 pm »

i had my sisters watch the series with me and also my dorm roommate. the bishies and awesome story just made us addicted to the anime.
Report Spam   Logged
deojoej

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:17:58 am »

I introduced the anime to one of my friends and they thought it became one of there favourite shows.
Report Spam   Logged
gelydh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »

I'm actually a victim of Get Backers exposure.  Cheesy I have no idea how my sister came across the anime in the first place, but we started watching it together and became completely hooked! I think at this point my love for it even surpasses hers... The awesome thing is that she's been buying me Get Backers-related presents for X-Mas (Ban's mug!).
Report Spam   Logged
wowO_O

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 02:35:11 am »

I'm actually a victim of Get Backers exposure.  Cheesy I have no idea how my sister came across the anime in the first place, but we started watching it together and became completely hooked! I think at this point my love for it even surpasses hers... The awesome thing is that she's been buying me Get Backers-related presents for X-Mas (Ban's mug!).

lucky. both the presents and getting exposed to getbackers.

i actually came across getbackers because there was a deal on vcds during some festival and getbackers happened to be there and it looked sort of interesting. and it was really good and i ended up following the manga as well because i want to continue the story. and now im hoping i can finally get read its end.

i never tried to make others watch/read the series because people who i would like to introduce it to aren't interested in the anime or manga even though i have tried to get them interested in it to no avail.
Report Spam   Logged
Rem

Ryuusuke Excellent Minami

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 02:39:58 pm »

Well I have to admit that I began to read GB thanks to a friend Smiley Then I made another friend read (and watch) this amazing series <3 I'm proud of myself Cool
Report Spam   Logged
shinegreater

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 03:10:13 pm »

yup made my friends do it lol now they love it
Report Spam   Logged
Xi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 03:30:09 am »

GB was actually my little brother's first anime. I'd gotten hold of the DVDs and he wandered in during the onsen episode, sat and half-boggled at it for a while as he pretended to do something else... and by the time Juubei tried his joke-training on Ginji the kid was completely cracking up and had completely stopped pretending to be only semi-interested in what was going on. Nowadays he's far more into anime/manga than I am, so... thanks, GetBackers: you snagged another fan!
Report Spam   Logged
lady_poison

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 03:25:17 pm »

I've almost made all my friends watch a few episodes or read a couple volumes of the manga.

Sadly, none of them have gotten into it mainly because they think it's too boyish (all the fighting in the anime) and too perverted when it comes to the manga (All the pantie and boob shots). xD

Shounen > Shoujo
Report Spam   Logged
wearenotone

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:41 pm »

I've intro-ed like 2 or 3. some of them started before me though
Report Spam   Logged
elparri

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 10:45:03 pm »

I tried to make my girldfriend watch the anime, but she says anime is for kids O.o

Mine respects it... sometimes...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: