News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
April 19, 2024, 08:43:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Favorite Drawing

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Drawing  (Read 421 times)
ManokTong

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:33:16 am »

What's your favorite drawing/page in the GetBackers manga?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:07:04 pm »

… Can I say the whole manga?

I’m not overreacting when I claim that I’ve never read a manga that is drawn quite like Get Backers and appeals to my personal aesthetics. I’m a girl who reads both shounen and shoujo and I appreciate both art styles for different reasons. But what Get Backers successfully does in a way I have never experienced before is the way it combines shounen with shoujo. It has the grim darkness, grit, straightforwardness and dirty lines of a shounen manga, but an equal amount of the gentle light, elegance, sparkles, dreamy picture compositon and pretty character designs clean lines of a shoujo manga. It’s an awesome art style.

Another thing I love about it is how the story is told. I mean, the way Ayamine uses angles, poses, shading, light/dark effects to enhance the feelings and atmosphere as he is trying to convey Aoki’s vision to us, the readers. He does it excellently, and a scene can be very relaxed one moment… and on the next spread you’re slapped right across your face with something you did not expect at all! Very dramatic! I also like how he adds some funny/weird details into his pictures, so even if they at a first glance seem to be drawn in his serious, beautiful style, you soon notice an ugly chibi somewhere in the background. Like here – where did that dog come from? XD Or what about Emishi’s “Look Juubei! Can you do this?”?

So yeah, pointing out my favourite pages and spreads from the manga would probably result in a too long post with too many links that you’ll need to click. Plus, I’m too lazy to find the pages online or upload them myself. XD
Do drawings from art books count? If so…

Aaaawww, look how cute they are…
A picture that is infinitely better in black and white (because there is a coloured version, and that one looks… not so good)
Ban = GB’s Mr Fanservice (seriously, looking at official GB art has convinced me that Ban hates 1) to fasten his belt and 2) wearing underwear…)
From the Divine Design arc (and I’m crossing my fingers that we’ll see Ginji in that outfit in the manga… I can dream, can I?)
G/B Badassery (from my favourite point of the manga where I liked Ayamine’s art the best)
Sleepover party! (by themselves? That must be lonely… or maybe they can have fun just the two of them, if you know what I mean)
YAAAY~!
I love their coats here (also, no unnecessary white lines that Ayamine likes to do in his coloured drawings)
Ginji and Ban in yukatas
Ginji and Ban yet again

Oh, and I’m going to include a few anime drawings as well. BECAUSE NAKAJIMA ATSUKO IS MY IDOL.

I don’t need to actually tell you why I like this picture, do I?
A crossover with You’re Under Arrest
Hot Ban is HOT (screencap, but who cares)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:52:32 am by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:33:47 pm »

A picture that is infinitely better in black and white (because there is a coloured version, and that one looks… not so good)
Ban = GB’s Mr Fanservice (seriously, looking at official GB art has convinced me that Ban hates 1) to fasten his belt and 2) wearing underwear…)
From the Divine Design arc (and I’m crossing my fingers that we’ll see Ginji in that outfit in the manga… I can dream, can I?)
G/B Badassery (from my favourite point of the manga where I liked Ayamine’s art the best)
Sleepover party! (by themselves? That must be lonely… or maybe they can have fun just the two of them, if you know what I mean)
YAAAY~!
I love their coats here (also, no unnecessary white lines that Ayamine likes to do in his coloured drawings)
Ginji and Ban in yukatas
Ginji and Ban yet again

Oh, and I’m going to include a few anime drawings as well. BECAUSE NAKAJIMA ATSUKO IS MY IDOL.

*squees loudly*

I haven't seen some of these!   Shocked  They are marvelous!

Oh, and thanks for your words about why the art of GB is so appealing.  It's not something I could ever seem to put into words, but I feel the same way!

Even so, I'll see if I can find a picture or two to share...   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

ManokTong

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 11:09:10 am »

… Can I say the whole manga?

I’m not overreacting when I claim that I’ve never read a manga that is drawn quite like Get Backers and appeals to my personal aesthetics. I’m a girl who reads both shounen and shoujo and I appreciate both art styles for different reasons. But what Get Backers successfully does in a way I have never experienced before is the way it combines shounen with shoujo. It has the grim darkness, grit, straightforwardness and dirty lines of a shounen manga, but an equal amount of the gentle light, elegance, sparkles, dreamy picture compositon and pretty character designs clean lines of a shoujo manga. It’s an awesome art style.

Another thing I love about it is how the story is told. I mean, the way Ayamine uses angles, poses, shading, light/dark effects to enhance the feelings and atmosphere as he is trying to convey Aoki’s vision to us, the readers. He does it excellently, and a scene can be very relaxed one moment… and on the next spread you’re slapped right across your face with something you did not expect at all! Very dramatic! I also like how he adds some funny/weird details into his pictures, so even if they at a first glance seem to be drawn in his serious, beautiful style, you soon notice an ugly chibi somewhere in the background. Like here – where did that dog come from? XD Or what about Emishi’s “Look Juubei! Can you do this?”?

So yeah, pointing out my favourite pages and spreads from the manga would probably result in a too long post with too many links that you’ll need to click. Plus, I’m too lazy to find the pages online or upload them myself. XD

YAAAY~!
Ginji and Ban in yukatas
Ginji and Ban yet again

exactly my sentiments! I've never seen anything (in mangas) that has GetBackers's contrast and mix of humor and solemnity. perfect in every sense of the word! it's like one big poem.

hahaha, thanks for the pictures. i like the divine design arc picture the most, mainly because of their costumes.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 01:31:03 pm »

*squees loudly*

I haven't seen some of these!   Shocked  They are marvelous!

Oh, and thanks for your words about why the art of GB is so appealing.  It's not something I could ever seem to put into words, but I feel the same way!

Even so, I'll see if I can find a picture or two to share...   Wink

exactly my sentiments! I've never seen anything (in mangas) that has GetBackers's contrast and mix of humor and solemnity. perfect in every sense of the word! it's like one big poem.

hahaha, thanks for the pictures. i like the divine design arc picture the most, mainly because of their costumes.

Hehe, thanks a lot! You're welcome! Glad I could put your feelings about the GB manga's art into words for your sake as well. Tongue

Oh, and about the artworks; it's all made even better by the fact that I actually OWN all but three of the pictures I posted. Own as in, I have them printed and they exist physically; how jealous would you be if I told you that I have not one, but two GB artbooks? Wink One for the manga, and one for the anime*. Both of them are really rare (I had almost given up on ever getting hold of my own copy of the anime artbook), but I did manage to track down a few (high quality!) copies and buy them on bargain. Lucky!

In fact, there's a story behind the anime art book. I found not one, but TWO copies of it. As I have a friend that I turned into a fangirl monster introduced to GB and she loves the artstyle for the anime as much as I do, I decided to be a little sneaky and secretly buy a copy for her as well. They were from two different sellers, so the copies arrived at different times. The one that arrived first, I gave it to her as a surprise gift at school because I figured that if I had yearned for that book for over one and half a year, I could easily withstand another two weeks of wait. You should have seen her face when I first pulled it out of my bag ("FFFFFFF NOOO LOVUX!!! I'm so fucking jealous of you!") and then gave it to her ("It's yours!" "....... Whaaa?"). Her reaction was prizeless! She was practially talking in fangirl squeals for the whole day! Oh, and she paid me money later that day for the book... and that's a good thing she did, otherwise I would've had to starve for a week. Cry
But I digress. Cheesy

* = though that one is not GB-exclusive, as it includes pictures from other series that the anime's character designer, Nakajima Atsuko, has worked on. Such as You're Under Arrest. That explains the crossover picture, no?

Right, and if you want to download the manga art book, try this link. Or maybe you prefer the anime artworks? Go here.
Have fun fapping.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:36:02 pm by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
Verdugo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 02:13:13 pm »

i always love it , when ban gets serious in a batle , you just know , he just radiates " i will kill you " >w<
Report Spam   Logged
dustsilent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:47:30 pm »

when ever ginji gets droopy mode haha
Report Spam   Logged
arigonzales

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 11:06:33 pm »

divine design drawings, i think
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]