News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 06:33:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Your favourite GB voices and why?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favourite GB voices and why?  (Read 596 times)
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2010, 06:06:04 pm »

It’s time for another one of those “Your favourite X” kind of threads, now focusing on the voice acting of Get Backers. It’s a simple question; which voices did you like the most in the show? Which seiyuu made the most powerful impression on you? Let us hear what you had to say about the cast!
Of course, since we’re no weeabos or sub elitists, the topic will not be limited to the Japanese voices only; if you wish to talk about dub actors/voices, that’s fine too. Oh, hi Midou.

My favourites?

Well, I can start things off by saying that (if you didn’t know this already), the reason I decided to give Get Backers a chance was because I knew one of my favourite seiyuu of all time was cast as a main character – Canna Nobutoshi as Ban. And naturally, he was perfect for the role. By changing his unique, raspy voice very little, he can sound deep and bloodthirsty when he’s being badass, but also calm and collected when he’s pro doing business, not to mention squeaky and wailing when he’s being a dork! Ah, he’s just such a fine actor; when he’s acting as our favourite jerkass Ban, he captures every side of his character. He is badass. He is observant. He is arrogant. He is childish. He is dorky. He is, for all his flaws, extremely lovable – he is Ban-chan!

However, he is far from being the only one casted perfectly for his role. Morikubo Shoutarou as Ginji is just as impressive, and WELL worthy of being a main character of the show. It’s even more impressive if you consider how he usually voices characters like Ban (i.e. jerkasses), but here, is so adorable that you want to hug him as soon as he opens his mouth in case you didn’t want to already just by seeing his cute looks. Talk about having a wide range! His charisma, goofiness and sincerity as the GB’s no.2 are taken directly from the pages of Ayamine and Aoki’s manga! Same goes for his sociopathic Lightning Lord persona – intimidating, but always with an underlying tone of extreme sadness.

This goes without saying, but the seiyuu of our titular heroes also have GREAT chemistry. Which is absolutely needed in a story about the strong bond between two people. It’s actually quite easy to tell that they’re pretty good friends in real life as well. ;P

It’s too bad she had a very little role, but… Ogata Megumi as Clayman was a delight to hear. Sure, in a 1 to 10 scale (where 10 is the hottest, sexiest thing ever), her husky tomboy voice easily ranks *FAPFAPFAP*, but hearing her use her prettiest pitch ever as the dignified, womanly Clayman was a welcome change of pace. For your information, Ogata Megumi s among my top 3 seiyuu (frighteningly often holding the top 1 spot, depending on my current mood/obsession), the other two being Suwabe Junichi (whom I fangirled OH SO MUCH during my Prince of Tennis obsession a couple of years ago) and the aforementioned Canna Nobutoshi (of course!).

Otoha as Natsumi was super cute! Admittedly, it’s easy to tell that she was new in seiyuu business at the time… You can hear that her lines are a little weak in delivery and that she doesn’t have quite the range as the other seiyuu of the show. But why should that matter? She is still adorable! And unlike many other anime girls who are supposed to be “kawaii”, her voice does NOT sound like she's been breathing in helium.

But, the most impressive one of them all in my opinion (and I think a lot of people here will agree with me) is Tobita Nobuo as Akabane. I can’t really think of any words to say that would do him justice, because he is just… indescribable. To be frank, I often find myself thinking that he is an even better casting than our main characters, and THAT’s really saying something! He should have gotten some kind of award for his role as our favourite psycho. I don’t get chills down my spine too often just by hearing someone talk, but Tobita Nobuo’s once-in-a-lifetime Dr Jackal easily qualifies.

… Yep, I think that’s about it. Now tell me yours! And you don’t have to be as pretentious of a writer as Lovux is. Wink

I wonder how many “I started watching Get Backers just because [my favourite seiyuu] was in there!” posts we’ll have here. XD
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:44:25 am by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:28:32 pm »

However, he is far from being the only one being casted perfectly for his role. Morikubo Shoutarou as Ginji is just as impressive, and WELL worthy of being a main character of the show. It’s even more impressive if you consider how he usually voices characters like Ban (i.e. jerkasses), but here, is so adorable that you want to hug him as soon as he opens his mouth in case you didn’t want to already just by seeing his cute looks. Talk about having a wide range! His charisma, goofiness and sincerity as the GB’s no.2 are taken directly from the pages of Ayamine and Aoki’s manga! Same goes for his sociopathic Lightning Lord persona – intimidating, but always with an underlying tone of extreme sadness.

This goes without saying, but the seiyuu of our titular heroes also have GREAT chemistry. Which is absolutely needed in a story about the strong bond between two people. It’s actually quite easy to tell that they’re pretty good friends in real life as well. ;P

^^^  This.  I am one of those who started watching GB because of Morikubo Shoutarou.  In fact, just about all my favorite anime shows are my favorites because of him (the ones he voices, that is).  I am an unabashed Shou-chan fangirl.   Grin  All he has to do is talk (or sing), and I listen, lol!  As you say, he is excellently versatile in his different roles -- Ginji in particular .  To be able to pull off a goofy, funny sweetie pie like Ginji and the fierce and frightning Lightning Lord in the space of just a few minutes is amazing -- and yet it's only the tip of the iceberg with this guy.

I love the fact that he and Canna Nobutoshi are friends in real life , as well -- he happens to be another favorite of mine.  He's quite versatile, too -- for example, there's a certain Naruto episode in which Shikamaru appears, but Morikubo Shoutaro was ill at the time and couldn't do his voice, so Canna Nobutoshi stepped in and substituted for him.  That was the best Shikamaru imitation I've ever heard, lol!   Cheesy

I might come back and wax eloquent about some of the voices I came to love because of GB, but for now I'll leave at that.

Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:48:35 pm »

^^^  This.  I am one of those who started watching GB because of Morikubo Shoutarou.  In fact, just about all my favorite anime shows are my favorites because of him (the ones he voices, that is).  I am an unabashed Shou-chan fangirl.   Grin  All he has to do is talk (or sing), and I listen, lol!  As you say, he is excellently versatile in his different roles -- Ginji in particular .  To be able to pull off a goofy, funny sweetie pie like Ginji and the fierce and frightning Lightning Lord in the space of just a few minutes is amazing -- and yet it's only the tip of the iceberg with this guy.

Indeed! Tell you what? It's actually thanks to Ginji that I have come to appreciate Morikubo's roles much more than I used to. Wink

I love the fact that he and Canna Nobutoshi are friends in real life , as well -- he happens to be another favorite of mine.  He's quite versatile, too -- for example, there's a certain Naruto episode in which Shikamaru appears, but Morikubo Shoutaro was ill at the time and couldn't do his voice, so Canna Nobutoshi stepped in and substituted for him.  That was the best Shikamaru imitation I've ever heard, lol!   Cheesy

Oh, I know about that instance! I searched bloody everywhere for that episode so I could listen for myself, and when I finally did... Well... The episode in question must either have been a DVD edition where they had "corrected" the voice acting and let Morikubo do the lines when he was well again, or it was Canna-sama who had my already quite high respect for him shot through the roof - was that really HIM?! And NOT Morikubo?! Shocked Because I surely couldn't tell! And I'm usually rather badass at recognizing different seiyuu no matter how much they change or alter their voices, so this says A LOT about just how talented Canna-sama is~

I might come back and wax eloquent about some of the voices I came to love because of GB

Do it, do it! Kiss
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:52:32 pm by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:57:54 pm »

Oh, I know about that instance! I searched bloody everywhere for that episode so I could listen for myself, and when I finally did... Well... The episode in question must either have been a DVD edition where they had "corrected" the voice acting and let Morikubo do the lines when he was well again, or it was Canna-sama who had my already quite high respect for him shot through the roof - was that really HIM?! And NOT Morikubo?! Shocked Because I surely couldn't tell! And I'm usually rather badass at recognizing different seiyuu no matter how much they change or alter their voices, so this says A LOT about just how talented Canna-sama is~

It really does say a lot for how talented Canna-sama is!  I've got the fansubbed episode from about the time when it aired, I think, and it still sounds exactly like Morikubo -- except for one tiny little change in the voice in one word that gives it away (but only if you are fanatically familiar with Morikubo-san's voice, like me, hehe!).   But of course, I can only hear it now because I listen for it; otherwise, he can totally pass for Shikamaru!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:48 am »

It really does say a lot for how talented Canna-sama is!  I've got the fansubbed episode from about the time when it aired, I think, and it still sounds exactly like Morikubo -- except for one tiny little change in the voice in one word that gives it away (but only if you are fanatically familiar with Morikubo-san's voice, like me, hehe!).   But of course, I can only hear it now because I listen for it; otherwise, he can totally pass for Shikamaru!   Grin

He can, he can!

Okay, I managed to find a fansubbed version of the episode - it IS episode 141, right? 'Cuz thats the number on his credits list on both Anime News Network and Wikipedia. I'm listening to that one scene Shikamaru is in... I'm listening intently... And you know? After watching the scene several times, I ~think~ that I ~might~ be able to tell at which point his voice cracks oh-so-slightly and gives him away. But then again, I'm actively trying to find that one word/sound, because I KNOW it's in there. So I'm probably hearing ghosts of my mind. Anyhow; if I wasn't aware of the (temporary) change of seiyuu in that episode, I would never have figured it out on my own! Not in a million years!
Report Spam   Logged

ManokTong

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:21:09 am »

I don't really like ginji's voice, but my favorite is raitei's voice (episode 23, i think)
Report Spam   Logged
naseuy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:38:35 pm »

MakubeX. I genuinely thought it was a guy.
Report Spam   Logged
wowO_O

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 03:02:43 am »

i didn't know that. now im gonna find time and go back and watch that episode and listen to the difference haha.

anyways as for GB seiyuus i have to say koyasu takehito (kakei juubei) and hoshi souichiro (fuuchoin kazuki and he played son goku in saiyuki). i've been a fan of a lot of characters that they played in other animes and they both have very unique voices. it was interesting to see them in the same anime and playing characters that have such close interactions.
Report Spam   Logged
laika_sinclair

here there be dragons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:33:07 am »

Tobita Nobuo is the perfect voice for Akabane hands down...so scarily cool and murderously slippery so much so that I get the patented Akabane chills from just hearing him sing Akabane's character song lol I got equally scared hearing him scream Mr. No Brakes' name... Lips Sealed So nice to hear, yet...yeah scary  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

We realized what it was that bound people. The divinity that drives the world...is human will itself.
-Semimaru Kanade
OtakuSupreme

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 04:21:13 am »

Akabane of course. Both sub and dub. he just worked out perfect. frickin psycho.
Report Spam   Logged
Mayumi-san

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:53:10 am »

Akabane.   The affectionate way he says "Ginji-kun" just sends chills down my spine.  I'd go chibi as well if I was Ginji.
Report Spam   Logged
DarkJoe

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 06:26:21 am »

Natsumi's voice in the original series is amazing
Report Spam   Logged
hawkranger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 03:51:48 pm »

Am not really a fan of the dubbed animes so am gonna only talk about the original japanese and say that Ginji's voice when he is chibi is just soooo fit to the character xD "Ban-chan Ban-chan"
Report Spam   Logged
Blade17

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 03:45:03 am »

Ban and Ginji's voice match their characters at 100%.
Akabane and Shido's are great too and Emishi's is pretty hilarious.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: