News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 06:48:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Favourite Pairings?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite Pairings?  (Read 2077 times)
Shaddy-pink

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:59:30 pm »

They can be canon, fanon, or crack, it doesn't matter. I realize that this can be a touchy subject in fandoms, so I'm hoping we can have this topic without breaking out the flamethrowers Tongue

My current favourite in canon is Shido and Madoka, and I don't really have any for non-canon. I used to like BanxGinji when I first watched the anime, but I changed my mind when I started the manga because I began to like them better as best friends; to me, it made their relationship seem more "unique" when there wasn't a 'lovers' tag slapped on them, I suppose.

I didn't make this into a poll because there's probably more than a few options out there.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:26:17 am »

I have to agree! I love canon pair of Shido and Madoka. They complement each other so well and their love is very tender...just look at other wacky couples we see on series! As for Ginji and Ban being couple, I really don't think that true either. They have deep connection like those people whom have pairs for along time...like cops or athletes whom plays in couple competition. You would swear that some of them were psychic to each other (finishing other statement or getting what the other needed before even saying it). These relationships are purely platonic, but they are closer to each other than anyone else! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Anko

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:59:18 am »

The Madoka / Shido couple is the only actual relationship is it not? Hard to beat out love.
Report Spam   Logged
Shaddy-pink

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 10:41:41 am »

I have to agree! I love canon pair of Shido and Madoka. They complement each other so well and their love is very tender...just look at other wacky couples we see on series! As for Ginji and Ban being couple, I really don't think that true either. They have deep connection like those people whom have pairs for along time...like cops or athletes whom plays in couple competition. You would swear that some of them were psychic to each other (finishing other statement or getting what the other needed before even saying it). These relationships are purely platonic, but they are closer to each other than anyone else! Grin

Nice. That pretty much hits the nail on the head for me Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:05 pm »

Warning! This thread is, like, TOTALLY Lovux’s kind of thread. Therefore, this post will be laden with fangirl rants and biased stances on canon material. You have been warned.

In case you didn’t figure it out on beforehand by reading my others posts or looking at the pictures posted in my art thread, I will now let you know that I am a hopeless, shameless and utterly proud Ban/Ginji shipper.
I think that one of the biggest contributors as to why Get Backers is such an amazing anime/manga is the relationship between our heroes. It's one of the most well-written and intriguing bonds I have ever seen in fiction. I know it sounds cliché, but I don’t hesitate to call Ban and Ginji true soulmates. Or claiming that they love each other. The way they click is something that only comes once in a life-time, if barely that. Thanks to the two of them getting to know each other, they have been able to move on, forward and away from the sad and violent selves they used to be; Ban has learned that he is not a cold-blooded, unwanted snake that nobody could ever love, and Ginji has learned that he doesn’t need to be a merciless sociopath in order to shoulder the responsibility of protecting those who are unable to fight for themselves. They have opened up, become humans and now they know how to live their lives to the fullest. They have learned how to love.
As a bystander, it’s beautiful to witness the trust, loyalty and connection the share. It makes you smile. It warms your heart. It gives you hope. Hope than maybe, someday, you too will find someone who will be your Ban or Ginji... Perhaps in someone you did not expect. For even a bitter enemy can hide a friend deep down in the heart... Isn’t Ban and Ginji’s relationship proof enough of that?

As for the whole “Friends or Lovers” deal... I’m ambivalent. On one hand, my Freudian- I mean sappy side kicks in and I want nothing more than see them holding hands and snogging somewhere where they can be alone. In fact, if they were to hook up in canon, I don’t think it would affect the series or their relationship much. They are practically Siamese already, with the way they are very physical with each other (all that constant hugging and fighting), breathe the same air, share the same space and food, know each other’s thoughts, etcetera. They spend more time together than most couples do, and if they were to realize that they love each other LIKE THAT, they wouldn’t need to be re-written as characters. Just add kisses and it will be exactly the same.
BUT on the other hand, I’m still rational enough to know perfectly well that the two of them becoming an item is just impossible – after all, Get Backers is a shounen, not a shounen-ai. And I’m actually grateful for that. Because, as has been pointed out before, the purity of their bond would be tainted and it wouldn’t feel as unique as it was before if they had romantic feelings for each other. We’ve had enough of these DEEP bonds that transcend time and space and war and limits of all kinds... but always are romantic. As if the ultimate connection between two people always must be lust. Honestly, friendship is a form of love too, and just as strong – just not sexual or romantic.

Tl;dr – Ban and Ginji have a beautiful relationship. Whether it’s platonic or romantic, I don’t think it matters, as long as they are together. And they will always be, because, as we all know... The “S” in Get Backers means neither of them is alone!

And THAT is all have to say about that! For this time at least.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just when you thought you had reached the end of this post, I shall reveal to you that –behold!- there are still quite some characters whose chemistry has caught my eye... albeit admittedly, none of these can compete with the magic of Ban and Ginji.

* Everybody MUST ship Shido/Madoka. End of Discussion.

* Emishi/Amon is underrated as hell. I wonder why? I think I know the answer, but since this is the anime section, I guess I shouldn’t dwell too much on that.

* Juubei/Kazuki, I tend to flip-flop between being all “OMG OTP!” and “Meh” about them. So I guess I’ll put them somewhere in the middle on my list of favourite pairings.

I also rather like adding a third party (male OR female) to the Ban/Ginji pairing. Not to make in actual OT3 in which there is mutual affection between all three of them, but one-night-stands are okay. Right now I’m intrigued by the idea of having Ban and Ginji paying off their tab to Paul... with their bodies.

Then I have these “Secondary pairings”, which I wouldn’t say that I actively ship and become all “ZOMFG OTP!” about or even can point out any particular scene/dialogue that points the characters in question into a romantic direction, but is more like an idea, a concept, that I somehow find interesting...
* Ginji/Natsumi: Because both of them are so cute and bouncy!
* Ban/Hevn: Well, you can't deny that Ban’s got a thing for two certain aspects of Hevn, can you?
* Clayman/Himiko: In which Clayman totally seduces leads Himiko on to... Let’s call it “A Path of New Adventures”~
* Natsumi/Rena: They both started working at Honky Tonk because of their sad pasts, and since there is that similarity between them, they can understand and comfort each other.
* Paul/Kaiser: No Lovux no! Not until you see more of their backstory/chemistry!

Something like that~

*PHEW*

Off Topic: Is it very disturbing that I wrote this post while listening to the Mortal Kombat theme song on repeat the entire time…?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:52:15 am by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
plchat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:37:49 pm »

I actually agree with Shido and Madoka pair. They both like totally opposite yet become couple. Still I'm much more interesting in Ginji and Dr Jack. When Ginji and Dr Jack pair up together when they go to Limitless Fortress. Ginji tried to run away from Dr lots of time still cannot get away even got lost too. It's really funny when Ginji in hospital and Dr Jack come to visit. Still I think it's going to be really interesting.
Report Spam   Logged
TH-kun

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:12:37 am »

There's a chance I'm gonna be hated, but I really can't bring myself to see Ban and Ginji as a couple... so I don't like it.  If we talk yaoi pairings, the only one I like would be Akabane/Ban (in that order); for straight I'm choosing Akabane/Himiko. Anything else... I'm neutral and don't care, so there.
Report Spam   Logged
Kai Heartnet

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 05:13:53 am »

Well i have to select Shido and Madoka
Report Spam   Logged
_KAzuki_

Friendship Counts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 01:56:23 am »

I love my men pairing and *chest out* I am proud worshiper of Ban/Ginji relations <3
Call it shounen ai, boys love, yaoi lol but they are just suited together... I won't go 'kyah kyah' over them but you do realize that their connection is somewhat 'deeper' and 'simpler'. I can't see Ban going for any other one aside from Ginji. You can see it to their every movements and every touch (yeah, the constant slaps and punches).
Ban's every word holds meaning for Ginji and even though they do not 'boldly' tell people about it, them being together is more than just partnership. The link between them is also incomparable to others, there's this connection we all know that give spark in their relationship.
Bah.. Ginji's crazy over Ban we all know it lol...partnership.... friendship...brotherhood?
Give me a break... its <3

Cheesy:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:59:13 am by animeaddict1068 » Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 03:51:11 pm »

I love my men pairing and *chest out* I am proud worshiper of Ban/Ginji relations <3
Call it shounen ai, boys love, yaoi lol but they are just suited together... I won't go 'kyah kyah' over them but you do realize that their connection is somewhat 'deeper' and 'simpler'. I can't see Ban going for any other one aside from Ginji. You can see it to their every movements and every touch (yeah, the constant slaps and punches).
Ban's every word holds meaning for Ginji and even though they do not 'boldly' tell people about it, them being together is more than just partnership. The link between them is also incomparable to others, there's this connection we all know that give spark in their relationship.
Bah.. Ginji's crazy over Ban we all know it lol...partnership.... friendship...brotherhood?
Give me a break... its <3

Cheesy:

Yes! I'm finally not alone on this forum in shipping Ban/Ginji! *highfives*

That was VERY well put. Much better than I did with my pretentious wall of text that seemed to kill this thread for nearly a month. Gave you your first karma point for it.  Although as I said before, it can be either friendship or love, either way it'll be just my taste. Wink
Ban/Ginji OTP!!! <--- an exclamation which more or less has become the batte cry of a friend and I, both of us being hopeless Ban/Ginji fangirls. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

dw6xl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 07:45:55 pm »

i would like kyoji and akabane...2 wickedly cool characters who are unpredictable
Report Spam   Logged
_KAzuki_

Friendship Counts

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 12:44:39 am »

Yes! I'm finally not alone on this forum in shipping Ban/Ginji! *highfives*

That was VERY well put. Much better than I did with my pretentious wall of text that seemed to kill this thread for nearly a month. Gave you your first karma point for it.  Although as I said before, it can be either friendship or love, either way it'll be just my taste. Wink
Ban/Ginji OTP!!! <--- an exclamation which more or less has become the batte cry of a friend and I, both of us being hopeless Ban/Ginji fangirls. Cheesy

*bows and shakes hands Cheesy
Thank you thank you but wha-- HOW COME THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF US?
Can't people see the unbeatable love/tandem of those two main characters??
where are they looking at???  Lips Sealed
Man they need to look more deeper to the characters than just the plain outer act, don't you think?
But glad I'm not alone then Cheesy somehow this heightened things UP!
BAN<3GINJI forver!!! Ho ho~
Report Spam   Logged

red angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 01:23:14 am »

I guess I'll also throw it out there that I'm a Ban/Ginji supporter (And I'll immediately add a disclaimer that I'm also a BL/yaoi fangirl). I've made it my mission in fandom to NOT pair guys in anime/manga based on if they look pretty together because rabid fangirls who place guy A and B in a relationship based on two sentences possibly aimed at each other make me a little ashamed at times. So I have to not only get the 'there's something more going on here' vibe from a pair, but I also have to have significant evidence to back it up.

Ban and Ginji are awesome to me because they exemplify that a truly wonderful relationship is one where you can be the best person around your partner. I've also been quite preoccupied with the notion of the best friend/possibly romantic sort of relationship for obvious reasons. There's something appealing about it to me because with typical male friendships it's always portrayed as, like, the pinnacle of normal association. They'll go out of their way for each other, even fight to the death over a friend. It's the person who they spend all their time with and with whom they share mundane, irritating, and awe-inspiring experiences together throughout their lives. It just seems natural to me that someone THAT important to a man would be their other half in such idealistic friendships yet in many classic versions I've seen there's always this other sphere where the emotional/romantic love is about one of the best friends and a female love interest removed from this environment. So it's like saying it's impossible for men who share so much already to share a romantic bond. But I digress XD

Ban and Ginji spend literally all their time together and they joke like you'd expect best friends to but there is a dimension about their association that is just so sweet that it's hard not to say it fringes on the romantic. I "daww'ed" when Ban first said he could hear Ginji's voice from anywhere and they're always saving each other.

This is an aside, but I was thinking about it rationally the other day and I realized that even if it's not romantic between them, they may have doomed themselves to being heterosexual life partners anyway if they don't change the manner in which they live day-to-day. I was immediately reminded of a Flight of the Conchords episode when Bret gets a girlfriend and the episode shows all his dates with her...dates when his best friend/roommate/bandmate Jermaine is ALWAYS THERE. It was hilarious (Bret comments that his girlfriend doesn't want to go to another strip club and Jermaine helpfully points out there are topless bars so she doesn't feel so uncomfortable) and I compared it to how Ban and Ginji are so attached at the hip that any relationship might be doomed to the same hilarious awkwardness.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 10:07:54 am »

I guess I'll also throw it out there that I'm a Ban/Ginji supporter (And I'll immediately add a disclaimer that I'm also a BL/yaoi fangirl). I've made it my mission in fandom to NOT pair guys in anime/manga based on if they look pretty together because rabid fangirls who place guy A and B in a relationship based on two sentences possibly aimed at each other make me a little ashamed at times. So I have to not only get the 'there's something more going on here' vibe from a pair, but I also have to have significant evidence to back it up.

Well said, m' dear. I'm the same as you. I absolutely despise it when fangirls twist every sense of canon material in order to pair up all bishies they can find just because they look HOT and have shared one picture together. Sure, I love steamy mansex as much as any girl, but at least I want it to have some sort of substance to lean on, which in turn a possible relationship can be built on.
The only thing that disgusts me more is something I can sincerily said that I've hated ever since I first stumbled upon this genre called "yaoi" (which happened when I was 13. Damn you, Digimon! ... And thank you!), and that is when the characters are pigeonholed into boring seme and uke archetypes we've seen one trillion times before. I don't want my multi-layered, complex characters to be stripped off of what makes them fun and interesting in order to turn them into a dense "Oh you on top of me means sex? No I dun wanna!" whimp and a cruel "I'm not gay I'm just gonna rape you because you're so cute" pervert, respectively. Talk about not respecting the characters. Come on now! Ginji and Ban deserve much better treatment than that!

Ban and Ginji spend literally all their time together and they joke like you'd expect best friends to but there is a dimension about their association that is just so sweet that it's hard not to say it fringes on the romantic. I "daww'ed" when Ban first said he could hear Ginji's voice from anywhere and they're always saving each other.

Full agreement here. I have never quite supported a yaoi pairing the way I do with Ban/Ginji. I can safely say that they are the very few yaoi pairings I find interesting enough that I actually wouldn't mind if they were canon, in a sense that they shared an on-screen kiss or something along those lines. Most of the time, I realize that the pairings (and not just the yaoi ones, but the yuri and het ones as well, while we're at it) in question are just a fandom thing and it will never wander outside the realm of fanfiction and fanart... and I'm perfectly fine with that. I want my canon and fanon staying clean-cut apart from each other.
But Ban and Ginji? These boys are different. Of course, they look after each other and all that, but there's something, some little notions here and there ("I can always here Ginji's call, no matter where he is!") that makes the label "Just good friends" seem rather... stretched, for a lack of a better word.
Ah, but I've had the reasons why I love their relationship so much covered in my earlier post already, so I guess I should stop now before I start repeating myself. Cheesy Love and peace!

BRB DRAWING SMEXY BAN/GINJI FANART LOL

i would like kyoji and akabane...2 wickedly cool characters who are unpredictable

Uhm, you do realize that this thread is not about platonic character combinations, but romantic couples, right?  Saying it just in case...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:24:22 pm by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

likalaruku

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 08:54:53 pm »

I only support "social taboo" pairings because that was how I was brought up, but I have to actually see something between them. I'm not one of those crackheads who liked to pair the 2 most attractive people together & the write fanfiction where they're both completely out of chraracter. That just drives me nuts!

*Onesided Ginji & Ban: Though I can't see them having a physical relationship, Ginji is like the "woman" of the pair. He likes Ban way too freaking much for me to take it as just friendly or brotherly.

*Ban & Himiko: I was hoping nothig would happen between them, then I found out they were sorta related, then it didn't seem so boring anymore. But if they married, I think they would quickly divorce & would make terrible parents.

*Akabane & Ginji: It reminds me so much of how creepy Hisoka is around Gon (Hunter x Hunter) & it's hilarious.

*Juubei/Uryuu & Kadzuki: Hey guys, thanks for spelling Kadzuki's name wrong like everyone else does. Anyway, he deserves more than 1 guy.

Pairings I least support:
------------------------------
*Shidou & Madoka: Boring & ill-matched. & because of who he is, her life will always be threatened.

*Kadzuki & Ren: Holograms should not feel or bleed or love. She can't exactly give him kids to carry on the Fuuchoin bloodline either.

*Juubei's sister & Makubex: He's a hologram.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: