News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 29, 2024, 01:24:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Favourite Pairings?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite Pairings?  (Read 2083 times)
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:05 pm »

Warning! This thread is, like, TOTALLY Lovux’s kind of thread. Therefore, this post will be laden with fangirl rants and biased stances on canon material. You have been warned.

In case you didn’t figure it out on beforehand by reading my others posts or looking at the pictures posted in my art thread, I will now let you know that I am a hopeless, shameless and utterly proud Ban/Ginji shipper.
I think that one of the biggest contributors as to why Get Backers is such an amazing anime/manga is the relationship between our heroes. It's one of the most well-written and intriguing bonds I have ever seen in fiction. I know it sounds cliché, but I don’t hesitate to call Ban and Ginji true soulmates. Or claiming that they love each other. The way they click is something that only comes once in a life-time, if barely that. Thanks to the two of them getting to know each other, they have been able to move on, forward and away from the sad and violent selves they used to be; Ban has learned that he is not a cold-blooded, unwanted snake that nobody could ever love, and Ginji has learned that he doesn’t need to be a merciless sociopath in order to shoulder the responsibility of protecting those who are unable to fight for themselves. They have opened up, become humans and now they know how to live their lives to the fullest. They have learned how to love.
As a bystander, it’s beautiful to witness the trust, loyalty and connection the share. It makes you smile. It warms your heart. It gives you hope. Hope than maybe, someday, you too will find someone who will be your Ban or Ginji... Perhaps in someone you did not expect. For even a bitter enemy can hide a friend deep down in the heart... Isn’t Ban and Ginji’s relationship proof enough of that?

As for the whole “Friends or Lovers” deal... I’m ambivalent. On one hand, my Freudian- I mean sappy side kicks in and I want nothing more than see them holding hands and snogging somewhere where they can be alone. In fact, if they were to hook up in canon, I don’t think it would affect the series or their relationship much. They are practically Siamese already, with the way they are very physical with each other (all that constant hugging and fighting), breathe the same air, share the same space and food, know each other’s thoughts, etcetera. They spend more time together than most couples do, and if they were to realize that they love each other LIKE THAT, they wouldn’t need to be re-written as characters. Just add kisses and it will be exactly the same.
BUT on the other hand, I’m still rational enough to know perfectly well that the two of them becoming an item is just impossible – after all, Get Backers is a shounen, not a shounen-ai. And I’m actually grateful for that. Because, as has been pointed out before, the purity of their bond would be tainted and it wouldn’t feel as unique as it was before if they had romantic feelings for each other. We’ve had enough of these DEEP bonds that transcend time and space and war and limits of all kinds... but always are romantic. As if the ultimate connection between two people always must be lust. Honestly, friendship is a form of love too, and just as strong – just not sexual or romantic.

Tl;dr – Ban and Ginji have a beautiful relationship. Whether it’s platonic or romantic, I don’t think it matters, as long as they are together. And they will always be, because, as we all know... The “S” in Get Backers means neither of them is alone!

And THAT is all have to say about that! For this time at least.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just when you thought you had reached the end of this post, I shall reveal to you that –behold!- there are still quite some characters whose chemistry has caught my eye... albeit admittedly, none of these can compete with the magic of Ban and Ginji.

* Everybody MUST ship Shido/Madoka. End of Discussion.

* Emishi/Amon is underrated as hell. I wonder why? I think I know the answer, but since this is the anime section, I guess I shouldn’t dwell too much on that.

* Juubei/Kazuki, I tend to flip-flop between being all “OMG OTP!” and “Meh” about them. So I guess I’ll put them somewhere in the middle on my list of favourite pairings.

I also rather like adding a third party (male OR female) to the Ban/Ginji pairing. Not to make in actual OT3 in which there is mutual affection between all three of them, but one-night-stands are okay. Right now I’m intrigued by the idea of having Ban and Ginji paying off their tab to Paul... with their bodies.

Then I have these “Secondary pairings”, which I wouldn’t say that I actively ship and become all “ZOMFG OTP!” about or even can point out any particular scene/dialogue that points the characters in question into a romantic direction, but is more like an idea, a concept, that I somehow find interesting...
* Ginji/Natsumi: Because both of them are so cute and bouncy!
* Ban/Hevn: Well, you can't deny that Ban’s got a thing for two certain aspects of Hevn, can you?
* Clayman/Himiko: In which Clayman totally seduces leads Himiko on to... Let’s call it “A Path of New Adventures”~
* Natsumi/Rena: They both started working at Honky Tonk because of their sad pasts, and since there is that similarity between them, they can understand and comfort each other.
* Paul/Kaiser: No Lovux no! Not until you see more of their backstory/chemistry!

Something like that~

*PHEW*

Off Topic: Is it very disturbing that I wrote this post while listening to the Mortal Kombat theme song on repeat the entire time…?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:52:15 am by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: