News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 29, 2024, 10:23:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Studio Ghibli

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Studio Ghibli  (Read 686 times)
Naz

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »

So anyone seen any Studio Ghibli films?
Just made this thread as a discussion thread for their films.
If anyone hasn't seen any of their films I'd recommend Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Hound's moving Castle...
(Haven't seen their others, but these are all awesome <3 )
A few reasons why you should watch these are
(1) They have really good animation and some have special cgi in them
(2) They have awesome storylines
(3) They have really good character development for movies
Anyways, I strongly advise people to watch them Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:03:53 pm by Naz » Report Spam   Logged

Click please ^^

ah abusing tom is one of my few pleasures in life  Cheesy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

darkido

Peace<:

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:45:18 pm »

yep and really good storylines too...i will call it childlike fantasy making the inner child in you swell up with joy. lol Totoro's good one too!
Report Spam   Logged
lukasagitta

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:07:43 pm »

For some reason, I haven't watched many of them, but every one I have seen, I've loved. I guess I just spent too much time IMing people to focus two hours on the TV screen. My favorite is probably My Neighbor Totoro.
Report Spam   Logged
A-chan

Woo!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:45:25 pm »

I've watched a few of them. Liked every single one I've watched even if some of them didn't end the way I wanted them to. I still really enjoyed the movies and bought some of them anyways. My favorite so far is Spirited Away.
Report Spam   Logged
darkido

Peace<:

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:03:51 pm »

Another thing i liked about studio Ghibli is the music that they put into the anime...Most pieces i heard are done but Joe Hishashi who is excellent pianist. Anyway this's one of my fav: One Summer's Day -  
Report Spam   Logged
xphia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:45:41 pm »

I really like one of the newer Studio Ghibli movie (Ponyo)... this one was definitely more for the adults and the stories were quite engrossing. *THUMBS UP*
Report Spam   Logged
crystal_mimi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 05:13:35 am »

The studio ghibli movies are the only anime realted movies I allow my mother to watch with me...

my favourite is nausicaa. But spirited away and mononoke hime are also nice
Report Spam   Logged
sealok

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 09:18:00 pm »

mononoke hime is the only one that i have watched the just looked weird
Report Spam   Logged
Harijaja

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:22:08 pm »

I love Spirited Away, also Howls Moving Castle was pretty good. I need to watch Princess Mononoke . I want to watch Whisper of the Heart too!
Report Spam   Logged
Asdrubal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:18:58 am »

I like almost all movies from Studio Ghibli that I've watched, but I also find some of them kind of crazy, like they have no beginning or end, the entire movie is the middle of the story.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 06:06:04 pm »

Time to go against the mainstream (and I'll probably lose a couple of karma points for it too), but here goes;

I'm not a fan of Studio Ghibli.

Or rather, I'm not much of a fan of Studio Ghibli. I'm not a hater whatsoever. I recognize that the staff has put a lot of thought and effort into their movies and that they ARE worthy of being called "Japan's equivalent of Disney".
It's just that the movies they make don't particularily appeal to me as a person. Surely, they look and sound absolutely gorgeous. The characters also manage to be human in the sense that they always have a reasonable motivation for what they do and they speak and act very realistically... but it's so boring. Boring, boring, boring. I feel nothing for the Ghibli characters, or at least the main ones, i.e. the ones we are supposed to root for. Reminds me of the Tintin comic albums, in which the side characters are quirky and total spotlight stealers, but the main character himself is so normal and lacks a personality so much that it becomes ridiculous.

Then, I think I simply haven't watched enough movies to be fully understanding what Ghibli really stands for and what messages they are trying to get across. I have watched the following; Princess Mononoke (loved it), Spirited Away (it was good), My Neighbour Totoro (it was good as well), Labuta - Castle in the sky (couldn't even finish the movie because it was so boring). I know I should watch more, like Grave of the Fireflies, but I don't feel like having my heart ripped apart right now, thank you.

It's not that I have been dissapointed in what I have watched - they were good entertainment for the moment, but not much more. For me, at least.
Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
Kororo666

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:42:46 pm »

I pretty like Studio Ghibli films^^

I saw:
Grave of the Fireflies (a really really sad one! I almost cried!)
My Neighbour Totoro (loved it *_* I grew up watching it*_*)
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns (Loved it!)
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Report Spam   Logged
aikoaiko

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 08:28:11 pm »

I've only watched Spirit Away and Princess Mononoke. I remember liking it. I think in general they make good films. everything that they put out has a "retro" feeling to it...maybe it just me
Report Spam   Logged
DavidAre

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:02:41 pm »

Most of them are very good movies. Watched most of them except two My neighbor the Yamada and the Castle of the Owl (I don't remember well the name)
Report Spam   Logged
Naz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 06:59:30 pm »

Another thing i liked about studio Ghibli is the music that they put into the anime...Most pieces i heard are done but Joe Hishashi who is excellent pianist. Anyway this's one of my fav: One Summer's Day

I'm currently in the process of learning that on piano Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Click please ^^

ah abusing tom is one of my few pleasures in life  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: