News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 07:31:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

What was the latest anime you completed/watched?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the latest anime you completed/watched?  (Read 2686 times)
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »

Did you just finish watching an anime? Then this is the thread for you!

Come here and talk about it – was it a good series? Or bad? Or just average? What makes you think it was that? What impressions did it make on you? Is it something you recommend to others? Or advice us to stay away from? Give us your thoughts!

(did you just finish reading a manga? Try this thread)

I’ll start things off with a show I actually completed today:

Romeo no Aoi Sora
(also known as Romeo’s Blue Skies and Romeo and the Black Brothers)

Based on children’s book Die Schwarzen Brüder (The Black Brothers), this is another installment of World Masterpiece Theater’s long tradition of adapting classic books and stories for children into animes for children. And what can I say?

It’s awesome.

One thing I like with WMT shows is that they avert many typical anime clichés and keep themselves at a subdued, human level makes them relatable. But it contains enough conflict and character development to keep you from getting bored. And even as a kids show, it still has rather dark and depressing themes (child abuse being one of them), without never turning vulgar or offensive… or without ever losing its hope, sweetness and innocence. All characters are realistically good or bad, the main character being a good example of that, as his honesty both gets him in and out of trouble. Speaking of characters, the way they are designed is nice too – it’s something towards realism, but yet with a cute animesque (duh…) touch that makes it appealing for kids.

If I were to point its flaws, it would be that poor TV ratings (WTH?! How could this be?) led the series into being cut short on 33 episodes, instead of about 50 which is the standard for most WMT shows. This result in the episodes after 24-25 feeling too rushed, but it still retains its high quality. Albeit admittedly, the last episodes aren't reeeaaallly as touching as if the journey of watching the series had been 50 episodes. There were also a couple of standalone episodes (FILLERS) whose messages were too straight-forward, but they were still enjoyable.

In other words, it’s a great series that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults. Heart-warming and tear-jerking. If you want to break away from the “Anime = ninjas/mecha/fanservice” pattern, this is the show for you. Although if ninjas, mecha and fanservice are the main reason you watch anime, then this show won’t appeal to you. Which is a shame.

My rating: 7/10.

ANNNDDD that’s probably everything I had to say. Now it’s your turn! And no, you don’t have to be as superfluous as me. Wink
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:13:47 pm by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kyo999

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 06:48:13 am »

Berserk

i rate it 6/10

the manga is much better
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 04:22:23 pm »

Onegai Teacher
(also known as Please Teacher... yeah)

(I’m linking you to the opening because the song is FREAKIN’ AWESOME)

So today I decided to dig deep in my staple of anime DVDs and watch a show I saw a couple of times when I was in Junior High School and just had discovered “anime” and “manga” – which was roughly seven years ago. I had been thinking of re-watching it for some time now, and now that I finally did it... It was just as good as I remember.

This is not just nostalgia speaking. As far as romantic drama comedies goes, Onegai Teacher is without a doubt one of the best I have ever seen (together with its spinoff series Onegai Twins, which I now HAVE to re-watch as well!). It has likeable characters with human thoughts and realistic responses to the situations they are put in, but they still have that little “dumbness” that makes them good targets for comic relief. The humour itself is low-key, without being too hysterical or slapsticky. No chibis or enormous sweatdrops in sight whatsoever
Oh, and hearing Inoue Kikuko as one of the main leads is always a delight~ *loves her voice*

I must say I really like the character design in this series. It’s very colourful and cute without being too much moe. And for an Ecchi show, the girls have very subdued curves; I’d say they look natural. Sure, there are a few characters with… assets, but it’s nothing ridiculous. And the music! God, THAT was something I had forgotten about during all these years! Of course, I have always loved the opening (and a certain song that was used during the ending credits for the last episode), but the OST was superb as well. *must download*

I mentioned it was Ecchi, and sure, it’s not a show without its fanservice… But given its premise and opportunities, it’s surprisingly moderate and tasteful. It’s on a level that makes an Ecchi-fan satisfied over the amount there is, but is also perfectly tolerable for those who don’t like Ecchi.

Flaws? There are scenes here and there that are quite cheesy with its over-the-top drama. And the repeated name-calling (“Sensei! Sensei! Sensei! Sensei!” “Kei-kun! Kei-kun! Kei-kun! Kei-kun!”) gets annoying at times. Were the script-writers lazy or what? However, you might not notice it for the heart-wrenching drama.

Recommended for all those who loves romantic drama comedies!

My rating: 8/10.

So, off to watch Onegai Twins~ Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:20:56 am by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 08:00:35 pm »

I am soooo going to post in this thread -- but I have to finish something first.  I'm in the middle of a number of series I'm rewatching, so when I finish one, I'll talk excitedly about it!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

the_fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 04:06:38 pm »

The latest anime I watched : The Legend Galactic of Heroes !!

10/10

The best space opera ever !!
Report Spam   Logged
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:42:22 am »

Hmm...I' m update with most recent series! So the only things that I finished watching are last season. I liked Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu and Reaching you. Both series was very good. They made laugh and were very light hearted! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:15:02 am »

Hmm...I' m update with most recent series! So the only things that I finished watching are last season. I liked Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu and Reaching you. Both series was very good. They made laugh and were very light hearted! Cheesy

Im currently watching Arakawa under the bridge, ichiban ushiro no daimaou and a few others.
Report Spam   Logged

doom3x

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 03:13:37 pm »

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan, just one word...EPIC!
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 03:49:18 pm »

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan, just one word...EPIC!

Very well said, my friend. Though personally, I feel that even the word epic fails to justly describe that one series.... OMFG. And the movies are waaaay more over-the-top than the TV anime ever was (sounds impossible, but they really are!), so make sure you watch them as well.  Tongue

My latest watched anime?

Get Backers

... Well, duh.

My rating: 9001/10 10/10.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:49:35 pm by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

darkworlder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 10:59:27 pm »

nabari no ou & now and then, here and there
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »

I am soooo going to post in this thread -- but I have to finish something first.  I'm in the middle of a number of series I'm rewatching, so when I finish one, I'll talk excitedly about it!   Grin

Oh, do it! I'd love to read and see what you have to say about them. Obviously they must be really good if you're re-watching them.  Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally, I meant to watch and review this much earlier this week, but got hijacked by my Get Backers DVD’s... XD

Onegai Twins
(also known as Please Twins)

(another REALLY great opening song!)

Like Onegai Teacher, this is a romantic drama comedy, though while the previous series did rely more on drama, character development and even a touch of philosophy, Twins is mostly set on comedy, wacky hi-jinks and romantic misunderstandings. Of course it wasn’t just hollow fun – there was a significant amount of character development that won’t dissatisfy anyone.

As a spinoff, it did feature a mostly all-new cast, with a couple of characters from Onegai Teacher as side characters… for good and evil. While the new characters were all interesting to varying degrees (Go Miina!), the old characters were just there. One could always argue that they had their development in the previous series, but it was still not funny to see characters you cared about being reduced to extras, or completely re-written. For example, there was one of the Onegai Teacher characters who went from being quite well-rounded and sympathetic to a flat, annoying pervert with a disturbing sister complex. Perhaps it was done to keep in tune with the overall tone of the series, I don’t know. But I hated that change.

And then there was the ecchi… If Onegai Teacher had a moderate amount, this cranked it up to at least eleven. Still nowhere near competing with Get Backers though But, as paradox as it sounds, it was still done in a somewhat tasteful, almost realistic way, kind of how it would be like if fanservice existed in real life. Sometimes, embarrassing stuff that involves nakedness just happens. I know, I have been in a couple of... situations... *shudders at the memories*

Obviously the character designs were identical to those of Onegai Teacher, if not with slightly less detailed hair and rounded faces. The soundtrack was in the same style, but I felt that it was not as strong as the one used in the previous series.

As a whole, Onegai Twins is just as enjoyable as Onegai Teacher – if not for slightly different reasons. I wouldn’t say that having watched Onegai Teacher is required if you want to watch and enjoy Onegai Twins, but it’s highly recommendable, as there are a few in-jokes that otherwise will just confuse the viewer. I say watch both series – it’s well worth your time!

My rating: 8/10.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:28:24 pm by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

June Natsuyuki

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:22:40 am »

summer wars, it's pretty good imo.
Report Spam   Logged
FZNB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 06:59:11 pm »

Minami-ke 3rd season.
Report Spam   Logged
xphia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 07:04:12 pm »

Just finished Saint Seiya Lost Canvas.. it leaves you hanging... I think there might be like a second season to it sometime...
Report Spam   Logged
sealok

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 08:57:22 pm »

angel beats, durarara, ichiban ushiro no dai maou, senkou no night raid, these are the exceptional ones i watched lately although i thought durarara was going to be trash when i originally started.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: