News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 03:50:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

What was the latest anime you completed/watched?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the latest anime you completed/watched?  (Read 2681 times)
Mysticalsounds

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2011, 07:59:30 am »

Tenjou tenge!! Latest anime I watched has very over the top action and lot of nudity.. But liked it cause of it's  mature storyline but ending unsatisfactory 6.5/10
Report Spam   Logged
Levz

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2011, 08:44:49 am »

Yesterday i watched Zone of the Enders(ZOE from now on) 2167 IDOLO, it's an hour long OVA.
Of course the story is about Radium, an ender from Mars(for the ones who don't know: ZOE is a series of games about the space colonization and the opression of the people on other planets, these people are the "enders") who really hates the earth, 'cos the earth people are bastards and punch the martians (which are really weak 'cos they live in Mars and have a different body than earthlings) and such. After a while IDOLO appears (IDOLO is a gigant super robot) and Radium starts losing himself in the power of IDOLO. That's what i liked about the OVA the crazyness that IDOLO produces on Radium but in an hour long OVA they couldn't expand on the subject and it felt like it resolves magically. Well that's what happens trough all the OVA it felt short, a buch of things happen but they aren't well explained, in short the OVA had great ideas, and I'm a big ZOE fan and this OVA touches some of the subjects of the games like opression, need for power against the bad colonial guys, the gigant robot with a AI (in this case a "will") and the OVA turned the things around with the robot controlling the pilot's mind but with all the good ideas, but an one hour long OVA couldn't do a great job.
Report Spam   Logged

Protest Song (to Silvio)

He fell mortally wounded from a slash to his guitar
But had enough time to get his best song from it’s cover
And shot his assassin with it
Who momentarily seemed shocked
Taking his fingers to the ears
And screaming
For someone to turn off the lights

-Roque Dalton
koala1976

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2011, 01:03:03 pm »

Saiyuki and rainbow, the two f them great, I highly recommend then.
Report Spam   Logged
Maximus

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2011, 11:32:39 pm »

Golden Boy
Hilarious!
Report Spam   Logged
djsilver123

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2011, 05:23:53 pm »

Deathnote, it was definitely one of the best anime that i ve ever seen!!
Report Spam   Logged
Merze

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2011, 01:17:42 am »

I just watched King of Thorn last night. the story was kinda cluttered, though the concept was interesting. kinda like a souped up version of sleeping beauty. I'm reading up 6 vols of the manga just to make more sense out of it.
Report Spam   Logged
OtakuSupreme

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2011, 04:05:07 am »

Currently watching Gintama. Funny funny funny. must watch.
Report Spam   Logged
hawkranger

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2011, 09:24:32 am »

Just finished re-watching Beck
and now re-watching Getbackers xD
Report Spam   Logged
Dist

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2011, 01:31:37 am »

.... Mmm... the latest anime I watched was, Ookiku Furikabutte, Ntasu no Taikan Hen. I'd never seen baseball or an anime related with that sport, but one day I saw a part of the first chapter of de first season and I liked, so I decided to watch it completely. I really loved the anime, so when I found out that it would be another season I almosnt become crazy LOL.  But it was until las week than i finished to watch it.

I think is a really good sport anime, people should wath it Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
dullrath

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2011, 11:35:29 pm »

Just finished watching Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka, was great for the most part kinding slowing down around 9-10ish last 2 made it really go out with a bang though
Report Spam   Logged
boscoe

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:40 pm »

Dragon Crisis and Infinite Stratos
Report Spam   Logged
addorange

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2011, 04:53:56 pm »

Just finished Infinite Stratos, Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka, Star Driver, Dragon Crisis, Index S2 and Kimi ni Todoke S2. Pretty much all of the Winter series I was watching. I'm starting the Spring series now.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2011, 02:46:44 pm »

~DAZZLING THE STAGE~

Star Driver – Kagayaki no Takuto

An anime so conventional it turns unconventional.

I shall further explain that statement. For starters, the director of the show, Igarashi Takuya, also directed Ouran High School Host Club, which parodied its own genre and made fun of various shoujo clichés while also celebrating them. The scriptwriter, Enokido Yoji, wrote not only the aforementioned Ouran, but also another big, big, BIG favourite of mine, Revolutionary Girl Utena, whose greatness I could easy write an easy about, but this time I’ll be content with just saying that it went even further than Ouran (without turning into a parody) by questioning stereotypes and generally being as unconventional as a show can be.
This notion can be found in Star Driver as well. It would be SO EASY just to write it off as just another cliché storm, if it was not for the fact that every trope from the (many!) genres it’s inspired by and putting them on such obvious display that it becomes a deconstruction. Everything in this series is subverted, twisted around, and played with in such a way that it sometimes fools you by doing the exact opposite of what you were expecting.

That is why I have decided that one of Star Driver’s parents is none other than Utena. Just like its “mama”, Star Driver absolutely LOVEs to tease its viewers. Dialogues are filled to the brim with hints, clues and implications that tickles your brain delicately, while nevrer quite crossing the line into mindfuck territory. As long as you pay attention to the details, you will find yourself shouting “AHA! So THAT’s how it is!” more than once, but also manages to be just as entertaining as a no-brainer. Pick your poison!
One of the most common complaints I’ve heard about Star Driver is that it is too repetitive, since almost every episode contains a mecha battle and has the hero depending on Deus Ex Machina to win. But I disagree, for two reasons. First of all, it’s not all about the fights themselves, whoever wins or loses, but what they establish. IN each battle, we gain additional pieces of the puzzle and more information concerning the characters/their situation (except for that one lulzy episode that seemingly exists just for the sake of confirming what female viewers are already aware of – that the main character is one HOT BISHIE. <3). There is a lot of foreshadowing in this series, and as long as you pay attention to the details, there aren’t quite as many Deus Ex Machina as it appears to be. Secondly, those DEM that do, exist, I handwave them aside by still believing that Star Driver is a deconstruction on several genres, most prominently Magical Girl and shounen, both of which you can’t say your unfamiliar with (main) characters receiving random powerup as the plot demands. ;P

This leads me to Star Driver’s second parent, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Similarly to its “papa”, Star Driver is, despite what I said about its subtlety and intelligent foreshadowing, a show that you must watch with your heart, not with your brain. No offense to a the beloved Gurren Lagann, but let’s be realistic and objective here: the script is dumb as hell, the plotholes are as humonguous as the mechas in-show, and the word “logic” gets flushed down the toilet. So what is it that makes us love Gurren Lagann so much?
Passion. You can tell that the staff were working their asses off on the show and loved doing so, all just in order to make its execution and characters work well. That is what makes me believe that we don’t mind the over-the-top ridiculousness of the show.
And guess what? Star Driver is of the exact same kind. It doesn’t strive to be a DEEP, revolutionary masterpiece that transcends the genre/medium. Instead, it’s just the staff of Studio Bones screwing around with numerous typical anime tropes and turned the scale of every used cliché up to eleven. Simply put, this is a playful show. So please do yourself a favor and don’t take it too seriousy!

This leads us to the… faults of the show. No anime is perfect, and the same goes for Star Driver. I already went out of my way trying to justify the mecha battles, but it still doesn’t save it from becoming too predictable. I’d rather have seen the battles reduced considerably and the establishing aspects of them moved somewhere else in the show. That way, the battles that actually were fought would have gained much more significance, with so much more to win or lose when it’s actually time to duke it out in Zero Time, instead of being a staple event that you KNOW will happen. And some of them are shoehorned into the episode pretty badly, on top of that!
Another thing that is “hit or miss” are the characters. This is a character driven show, and most members of the cast gets his/her own episode (sometimes two). How entertaining these episodes are depend on whether you like the spotlighted character or not, so that’s entirely subjective. However, there were a few character that did not receive the development that would have benefitted neither themselves nor the other characters (by juxtaposition/personal chemistry). But as a whole, I found the cast of Star Driver to be rather likeable, and I’m plenty sure that most of the viewers gained at least ONE favourite while watching the show.
Also, some background information was never touched upon as much as one’d wanted. Some plot threads definitely had potential - but was never fully explored. Don’t get me wrong, I love Star Driver with every single fiber of my heart and body, however, the wasted potential still left something akin to a bitter taste in my mouth. But hey, as I said before; no anime is perfect. ;P

You can always trust Studio Bones when it comes to making SUPER PRETTY shows, and Star Driver is no exception. Some episodes had less well-drawn lineart, but it’s still nothing that takes away from the overall impression. Movements are dynamic, the mecha battles well-choreographed and the skies (particularly the sunsets and nighttime ones) can only be described as EYE CANDY GALORE. And Zero Time just leaves me speechless… One this is fore sure; this HAS to be THE most colourful anime Japan’s made ever in recent years.
Personally, I found the character designs to be a bit to lanky and pointy for my personal liking, but I quickly got used to them and started drooling over the bishies.

If the beautiful animation is the first thing you notice about Star Driver, the second thing as to be that it’s ~FABULOUS~ like no other show! Poses are overly dramatic and dialogues campy as hell when the situation calls for it, and dear lord the villains’ costumes... Between the man-thongs and screw-nipples, it boggles one’s mind how the hell they can have their strategical meetings or look at oneself’s mirror reflection without bursting into laughter... But this only adds to what I stated before – that you shouldn’t take Star Driver seriously at all. You just have to accept what you watch.

To make a VERY long story short; another success from the always talented Studio Bones! It is a very nice mixture of “big” moments (epic battles, general over-the-topness) and “small” moments (subtle details, "show, don't tell") that is guaranteed to entertain you at least somewhat. It’s not a perfect homerun like Fullmetal Alchemist or Eureka Seven... but close enough. ;P

My rating: 8/10
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:36:45 am by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
bedlamwolf

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2011, 06:49:51 pm »

Completed? To Aru Majutsu no Index II, Yumekui Merry, I.S Infinite Stratos, and Tegami Bachi: Reverse in the last week.

Watched, it would be the anime X-men ep 1, GetBackers and One Piece as re-watches in the last week or so.

Looking forward to Ao no exorcist, and re-watching Read or Die. Waiting for Bleach to get out of Fillers, and Naruto to get to where I actually care. Following Fairy Tail, and a few others, but sporadicly.

Lovux, I LOVE Star Driver! I really need to go back and finish watching it though.
Report Spam   Logged

I don't know, I don't dig giant robots so much as I dig GUYS who DRIVE giant robots.

Watching a good anime while it's airing is like drinking water with a bottle-cap when you're really thirsty.
SaberXrideR

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2011, 11:32:54 am »

The last anime that i complete was

CASSHERN SINS

Rating 8/10

i like a lot cause its a good Remake from the classic with a new story, i like the actions scenes a lot
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: