News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 07:30:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The GB Q & A Corner.. & FAQ

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The GB Q & A Corner.. & FAQ  (Read 4330 times)
Midou

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:11:07 am »

Thanks so much Lovux. Smiley I'm extremely pleased people are finding it useful.

And yet tons of doujin-kas and fanartists insist on drawing Ginji as some short, annoying, whimpy, oh-so-rapeable little uke boy.... Argh. I fucking hate that.
hehe.. yeah. Ban's spiky hair creates the illusion that he is taller, but when viewed with his hair down, it's obvious who's taller.

First of all, the voices were just. Too. Damn. Deep. You say that they sound badass. I think they sound like old men twice as old as the supposed ages of the characters.
and whenever they raise their voices, it just sounds awkward
Oh no.. not at all, didn't take it personally. Infact, I expect people to say this. I totally understand you. Infact, I've gone through that phase. As most of english speakers here, I was first introduced to dubs. When I first saw the subs I did find it to be smooth and pleasing to hear. It felt like a new experience from the dubs. Infact when I noticed most anime fans prefer the subs over the dubs, even I got pulled into it. When I started to dwell deep into it only then I realized something. There were little or no variations in harmonics and decible levels at all.. hence there wasn't much of a difference whether they sound murderous or talking casually or angry. It felt like the Japanese VAs are trying hard not to break the barrier. Ofcourse their emotions are conveyed, but it is all within the barrier of not sounding too harsh. This is a far cry from say, some hollywood action heros. Anyway.. that's when I read about the Kawaii culture in Japan. With Anime and Manga leading this phenomenon, it's obvious why the Seiyuu don't breach the barrier and thus sound harsh and uncute. Infact, the voice actress of Kenshin.. that was the extreme version of this. Many people find subs to be nice over the dubs in Kenshin, but I find it totally wrong. Kenshin is in his mid or late 20's. When I first watched it, when the Actress spoke, I was searching who was the woman character who's speaking. When I realized it was kenshin, I missed a heart beat. But people still say Kenshin's Jap voice is the best. Ofcourse I respect that since it is part of the Kawaii Culture.

The VA for the Animax dub were in their early-mid 20's when they dubbed it. Ban and Ginji unlike the Manga where they are 18 years old, they are 21 in the Anime. So the voices does match. They are not as low pitched as say bad-ass actors like Bruce or Gene Hackman, but just right to fit in the role of GB anime characters. Jackal is older than Ban and Ginji and is most probably in his late 20's or early 30's.

When people raise their voices or get emotional, their pitch and decibel levels does change. Ofcourse it isn't very Kawaii, but it's the normal realistic way. People have to watch it without looking through the prism of Kawaii-ness to appreciate it. Or else it will hurt the ears.

I mean seriously, what happened to Ginji's innocent goofyness? And why's Ban not sneaky like a serpent? Where's Akabane's bloodthirst? And why do they sound so SIMILAR?
Well actually Ginji does sound goofy and innocent in the dub but not as much as in the sub. In the subs, in my opinion, he sounds like a 15 year old, so naturally he's more innocent sounding there. Ban is sly, you need to watch a few more episodes there. And what's more, he's cool & Bad-ass. He even uses swear words sometimes and acts like a punk like in the manga, unlike the dignified Ban we know in the subs. Nobutoshi Canna's voice fits for Ban in the subs. Jackal's voice, well, I find it too soft in the subs. This reminds me, I've read youtube comments where casual fans have concluded that he was gay based on the voice and the way he speaks. Jackal's voice is deep for his age and he maintains his coolness, which I find nice in the Animax one. I'll get you a Jackal video which I made long back.. you'd find it interesting with regards to his lust for blood. ((This reminds me, I made a very short GB parody sometime back.. totally forgot about it.)) In the ADV dub, I dunno, maybe Americans would appreciate it since Brits are popular villains there.. hehe.. he carries an English accent in the ADV. However the dubs are also not as flawless. There are a couple of dubbing errors. Also, Jackal is voiced by different VA in a few episodes in the Animax one. The ADV dub changed Ban's voice actor after a few episodes. In the ADV, they have changed Ban's name to Bon. In the Animax dub Shido is called Sido. Infinity fortress becomes Limitless fortress in the ADV while it's Maze city in the Animax one.
They have cut down some of the female fan service in the animax dub.. for example.. there is no "like a horse" dialogue, and ofcourse no "Ban-chan".
There are are many more differences.

Dunno why you find it similar. I think it's maybe because the recorded Animax videos have a very low quality & low pitched Audios which mashes up the voices and makes it even deeper/low pitched than it usually is.

It's stiff
Stiff? No way.. they convey their emotions with usual vigor, which explains their changes in pitch. They are the least stiff of the 3, atleast to me. Smiley

Still like I said, to each his own. People have different tastes afterall. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:59:26 am by Midou » Report Spam   Logged

Getbackers FAQ & Download: http://anime.forumlivre.com/?showtopic=2

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: