News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 29, 2024, 05:44:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Getbackers Manga

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Getbackers Manga  (Read 1284 times)
Edian

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:04:23 am »

Has there been any rumour that someone else has picked up the licence for getbackers after Tokyopop lost it.
It's a major bummer for the people like me who collected this and now are stuck with a unfinished series on there shelve.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Harow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:23:46 pm »

I feel the same way, super bummed!
I like Getbackers and its one of the only translated mangas I buy here...but then they have to dropped it...
Luckily now I have the releases in this forum to know the continuation of the story, but if they decide to continue with the publication, I won't hesitate to buy it
Go Getbackers!
Report Spam   Logged
SleepyHaze

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:15:21 am »

Kodansha dropped the license... not tokyopop. I wonder why... anyone know the reason?
Report Spam   Logged
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:20:02 am »

Kodansha dropped the license... not tokyopop. I wonder why... anyone know the reason?

I'm not sure, but I think it had something to do with Tokyopop's handling of the series -- they were extremely slow about getting it out, and also, perhaps there was some issue with their translation?  Don't quote me on that...   Wink  In any case, Kodansha was unhappy with them to the point of canceling the contract.
Report Spam   Logged

Harow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 06:07:11 am »

Well...I'd be unhappy too if I were Kodansha coz by prolonging the release, it would mean that they won't purchase another license for a while!
but as a customer, I'm unhappy with Tokyopop as well...
One volume for every 3-4 months is not really good...2 months I can understand...but 3-4?...
The suspense is killing me all the time lol
Report Spam   Logged
plchat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:12:19 pm »

Hello nice to meet you. I actually not happy with TokyoPop at all. I bought mangas from TokyoPop and they don't do very good jobs at all. I bought WildAct and one well a few volumes that have english text on top of original text. I can't read those part at all. Also sfx if they not going to edit it at lease put some small english text to tell what is it. I also bought  Chobits and this time only one volume still annoying out of me. It's missing like more than 10 pages in that volume. I have to re-buy it again which is really suck. I'm not happy at all.
Report Spam   Logged
ornyx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 01:05:20 pm »

i just wish they would pick this back up as not only is the story brilliant the cover art is amazing and vibrant and i was planning to make a small get backers wall shelf showing off the volumes cover art after id bought and read them all.
Report Spam   Logged
aqua11alta

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:07:40 am »

I'm sorry, I'm still confused. So who drop the license, kodansha or tokyopop?
Report Spam   Logged
kurodo
Raw Provider

~ Pic spammer ~

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 10:30:58 am »

kodansha Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 10:35:28 am »

Hello nice to meet you. I actually not happy with TokyoPop at all. I bought mangas from TokyoPop and they don't do very good jobs at all. I bought WildAct and one well a few volumes that have english text on top of original text. I can't read those part at all. Also sfx if they not going to edit it at lease put some small english text to tell what is it. I also bought  Chobits and this time only one volume still annoying out of me. It's missing like more than 10 pages in that volume. I have to re-buy it again which is really suck. I'm not happy at all.

Whoooa! Talk about lazy! Even I edit the words out when I put in the english text. As SFX, I can say I care much of them. I just leave them as is...cause most SFX are unnecessary. I know that are very good publishers whom remove the SFX and add in English equivalent.

To answer your question, the original company whom own the license was Kodansha. Tokyopop bought the license (for certain amount of time and number of volumes) to Getbackers and other manga series to release in US and other parts of world. When it came time to renew the license, Kodansha refused to Tokkyopop to buy the license to their series. Hence, Tokyopop can no longer publish or release anymore volumes of GB and other series.
Report Spam   Logged
gaminguy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 07:19:20 am »

Why did Kodansha do it?
Report Spam   Logged
Kaira

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »

I wonder if there are any news about a re-licensing of GB? I wonder who will buy the english license now from Kodansha and when?
Report Spam   Logged
Yaban

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 08:33:37 pm »

I wonder if there are any news about a re-licensing of GB? I wonder who will buy the english license now from Kodansha and when?

i think its just a rumor, but will be great if comes true.
Report Spam   Logged
aikoaiko

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 01:50:05 pm »

I knew a lot of people didnt care for tokyopop. It must be pretty bad if the orginal japanese publisher refused to renew the license. Im sure if the demand for the title is big enough another publisher would want to take on the task. Tho the question would be if another publisher takes up the task would they just start at where tokyopop left off or would they begin anew. 

Report Spam   Logged
gamogamo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:34 am »

Wait, does this mean that GB is unfinished? Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: