News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 28, 2024, 12:41:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Deadliest Warrior

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deadliest Warrior  (Read 442 times)
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:15:59 pm »

I recently discover a interesting TV show called the Deadliest Warrior. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Warrior) I thought it was interesting that how they showed different types of weapon used by the different warriors and how deadly each weapon can be, even though sometimes I think the match of weapon/warriors are not equal. I loved how went to explain the history of each warrior and the how each type of warrior compare to another class of warrior. I was just wondering if anyone if anyone else watched it! Or am I really...a unique person for watching something like this! If you haven't watch it yet, please check it out at http://www.tv.com/deadliest-warrior/show/76318/episode.html?tag=ep_guide;paginator;All&season=All
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:46:36 pm »

Heh. Yeah, that show is awesome. I love the one with the Ninja vs. the Spartan.
Report Spam   Logged
Edian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:18:42 am »

you will be glad to hear that they started season 2 now then.
Report Spam   Logged
Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:52:14 am »

I'm not familiar with this show, but it sounds amazing -- as well as educational.   Wink  I'll have to see if it's showing on any channel I get.
Report Spam   Logged

somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 04:16:55 pm »

I love the one with the Ninja vs. the Spartan.

Yeah, it was pretty cool! They just forgot one thing....ninjutsu!  Grin The ninjas would kick ass (if those skills existed)!  Wink

you will be glad to hear that they started season 2 now then.

Happy doesn't even describe it! Out right jubilation!  Grin The IRA vs Talban was one of more interesting one of this new season!

I'm not familiar with this show, but it sounds amazing -- as well as educational.   Wink  I'll have to see if it's showing on any channel I get.

Well if you can't find it! I guess you could watch online (http://www.tv.com/deadliest-warrior/show/76318/episode.html?tag=ep_guide;paginator;All&season=All)...that if you have fast enough server.
Report Spam   Logged
fatez

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:35:46 pm »

It is a cool show. Don't necessarily agree with all the experts though. Especially with the shaolin monk guys using the wax wood staff, they were using it incorrectly, proper way to use the staff is like a lever with the staff keeping a pivot point on your body, tight etc not just holding it and hitting things with two hands. Sigh thats what happens when they get performance Wushu guys in to show how to use Chinese martial arts weapons. Hope they do better with Sun Tzu for the second season although I don't know why he would be on the show.
Report Spam   Logged
somehow_here
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 07:35:42 pm »

Especially with the shaolin monk guys using the wax wood staff, they were using it incorrectly, proper way to use the staff is like a lever with the staff keeping a pivot point on your body, tight etc not just holding it and hitting things with two hands. Sigh thats what happens when they get performance Wushu guys in to show how to use Chinese martial arts weapons.

Errr...didn't get half of that...but I totally agree with your point! The experts I think are occasionally wrong! I think sometimes they compare the wrong weapon or basing the results on wrong concepts. I just like about the history and lethality/aspect of weapons that those people use! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
sngsun

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 11:04:18 pm »

this show has no scientific value to it whatsoever
Report Spam   Logged
bplbaru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 11:30:52 am »

even though its got no scientific value, its pretty cool to see completely random matchups..i mean there was a zulu prince versus a scottish highlander ...how cool is that
Report Spam   Logged
Ryuhou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 01:50:32 pm »

this show has no scientific value to it whatsoever

I agree, it is generally like a cross anime/manga versus topic which ultimately leads nowhere because it's impossible to really decide who would win.  But on the other hand, posting in those kind of topics can be fun in its own right.  I guess it's the same with this show.
Report Spam   Logged
Groundhammer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 01:19:20 am »

If anyone's still interested, the show has been greenlit for Season 3 AND a MOVIE.

I don't know how that would work at all.

Now, about the show... I have mixed feelings. I hate how formulaic each episode is and how annoying the hosts are (especially Geoff. I can't stand the guy whenever he goes "THREE! TWO! ONE! LIGHT 'EM UP" or some variant of that. It gets ridiculous when he tries to say "three two one" in some foreign language (I laughed my ass off when he did it in Mandarin in the Ming vs. Musketeer episode, although his French was better since he's Canadian and apparently of French descent, what with his last name being Desmoulin). Also, so many of the tests are ridiculous. You can find plenty of complaints on the show's IMDB message board.

On the other hand, sometimes the experts can be real badasses. My favorites are the Spetsnaz guys Sonny Puzikas and Maxim Franz. Both of them are pretty active in the martial arts community: Maxim teaches systema in Canada and Sonny teaches a combat seminar in Georgia every year. Sonny even has a Myspace but he hasn't touched it for about a year.
Report Spam   Logged
Asterisk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 09:32:11 pm »

This show is fun to watch, but yes, none of the tests they do could really show how a fight would end. They just take general ability and weaponry and use that as the base for the entire types of warrior.

Anyway, just to see all the different fighting styles and weapons makes this show worth watching.
Report Spam   Logged
naseuy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 08:23:17 pm »

The science and the "battles" are a little meh, but I do love the showcase of the weaponry.
Report Spam   Logged
Lurker-chan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 12:15:42 am »

I like the show. Not much meat to it, but it's fun to see sharp things be all shiny and pretty and dangerous.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: