News Box
We are currently looking for a new Editor and a Japanese to English Translator to work on a new Tokyo Underground manga scanlation project! If your interested in helping out, please send a message to Vent the North through the private message system of this forum.
Xtra Smileys [Open]
Getbackers Manga Scans
March 29, 2024, 12:47:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

You now have to have a minimum of 15 posts in order to download our chapters.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: You now have to have a minimum of 15 posts in order to download our chapters.  (Read 6903 times)
Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:25 am »

I have noticed lately that there have been a lot of members who simply leach our chapters and do not even have any posts. In order to deal with people simply leaching of of us and talking our chapters without a word of thanks, I have made it so that in order to download a chapter by our scan group, you have to have a minimum of 15 posts. Im not really going to write a long TLDR post about it, but basically this means that you members who have been leaching off of us should start posting pretty soon if they want to get new chapters as soon as they come out.

I would also like the opinion of the rest of our staff members on this matter
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kurodo
Raw Provider

~ Pic spammer ~

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:11:10 am »

15?!  hmmm i don't know. I think it's too much. Many people can't speak english (they understand it but they can't write/speak) like me and there're also shy people or they don't wanna SPAM. I think 3-8 post would be better
but you're admin and I trust you/you know the right thing. ^^ <3

Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 10:22:47 am »

Well, I'm not staff, but as a Junior Member, I think it's a good idea to have a limit like that.  I know I've been guilty of taking and running -- not here, though! There's just too much to talk about to run away afterwards.  Cheesy  But it's not really fair to the community to only come here for the downloads and not say anything -- even thanks!

Whether or not 15 is too much, I'm undecided -- it might be good to have it be at least 10, so that good habits of posting in the forum are established.  If they really want to download, they'll find something to say to make the quota.

That said, I don't think it would be all that difficult to come up with something to say 10-15 times.  All one has to do is introduce oneself, say hello, comment on this and that, start a new thread about why you like Ginji... I mean GetBackers, or play a game or two.  Before you know it, you're at 15 posts!  If English is a problem, there's nothing like chatting with friendly and accepting people like we have here to help develop that skill.   Smiley
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:26:12 am by Lin » Report Spam   Logged

Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:09:41 am »

15?!  hmmm i don't know. I think it's too much.

Its really as Lin said. Its not really hard at all to come up with 15 posts, just spam a bit in the offtopic section and introduce yourself and people will get 15 posts in no time.
Many people can't speak english (they understand it but they can't write/speak) like me and there're also shy people or they don't wanna SPAM.

We actually have a lot of members on here who aren't native english speakers, and nobody on here really cares. We are pretty welcoming and accepting people, so even if they speak broken english its fine.

I think 3-8 post would be better
That is a bit to little in my opinion. I was actually originally going to make the limit 25, but I figured that would be a bit too much, so I switched it to 15.
but you're admin and I trust you/you know the right thing. ^^ <3

Thanks  Smiley

Well, I'm not staff, but as a Junior Member, I think it's a good idea to have a limit like that.  I know I've been guilty of taking and running -- not here, though! There's just too much to talk about to run away afterwards.  Cheesy  But it's not really fair to the community to only come here for the downloads and not say anything -- even thanks!

Whether or not 15 is too much, I'm undecided -- it might be good to have it be at least 10, so that good habits of posting in the forum are established.  If they really want to download, they'll find something to say to make the quota.

That said, I don't think it would be all that difficult to come up with something to say 10-15 times.  All one has to do is introduce oneself, say hello, comment on this and that, start a new thread about why you like Ginji... I mean GetBackers, or play a game or two.  Before you know it, you're at 15 posts!  If English is a problem, there's nothing like chatting with friendly and accepting people like we have here to help develop that skill.   Smiley

I pretty much agree with you, 15 posts really isn't hard to get, its actually pretty easy, just spam a bit and introduce yourself and they will have 15 posts in no time. Maybe we can actually get some more active members by doing this.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:17:12 pm »

Great move. Hopefully this will get people to post more instead of just leeching and running away though I'm probably not the one to talk, as I'm quite guilty of that as of lately... Stupid arm condition hindering me from fangirl ranting as much as I want to!. 15 posts seems about just right, even if I personally would cranked it up to 20.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

The "S" in Get Backers...

... Means neither of us is alone!

~Click Here To Enter Lovux's Art Thread~
Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:37:14 pm »

Great move. Hopefully this will get people to post more instead of just leeching and running away though I'm probably not the one to talk, as I'm quite guilty of that as of lately... Stupid arm condition hindering me from fangirl ranting as much as I want to!. 15 posts seems about just right, even if I personally would cranked it up to 20.  Roll Eyes

Yea lol, you haven't been posting much lately. Is something wrong with your arm?

And I was thinking I could have raised it a bit higher, but I think 15 is good for now. I may raise it to 20 if people stop posting right when they make it to 15 posts, but im not really sure yet.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 03:50:18 pm »

Yea lol, you haven't been posting much lately. Is something wrong with your arm?

Sadly, yes.  Embarrassed I have had some problems with my right arm (the one I draw with), as it gets really achey and/or tired pretty easily. I've had it ever since spring last year. I let it rest for a while, but the stupid pain showed up again in late autumn. This state is still pretty awful though, as I'm currently enrolled to a comic art program in university, as I'm not able to put as much work into some works as I'd want to, and some things I can't even do at all. it also comes and goes in periods - some days I'm all fine and dandy, other days I have to eat painkillers. And when I actually feel good in my arm, I usually spend as much time as I can drawing, because that is the thing I love to do most in my life, so I don't have much powers left to do some fangirl rants here, even if I'd love to.  Undecided

The only good thing that comes from this arm problem is that I'm slowly but steadly turning ambidextrous - My leftie's WAY better maneuvering the computer mouse than my rightie ever was, and some of my classmates have commented on my (made only for teh lulz) leftie-scetchies that they can't tell the difference between them and my "normal" doodles, done by my right hand.  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Shisui
Translator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:06:16 pm »

I like the idea, but I agree with some other folks that 15's a bit much (I barely have 15 myself Lips Sealed). Maybe 5 posts. You could get that in a few hours.

15 posts will take at least a day or two. Which is either gonna drive new people away or cause them to spam bullshit.

Lovux: Get that arm checked out. You got talent. Don't let it go to waste!

Report Spam   Logged
Lovux The Great
Global Moderator

There is no bathroom?!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:15:06 pm »

Lovux: Get that arm checked out. You got talent. Don't let it go to waste!

I have. Multiple times. I've had my arm X-rayed and examined by like a trillion different doctors and everything seems to point in one direction; namly exhaustion and poor ergonomic circumstances, such as a too tight grip on my pencils and the like. I know it does sound bad when I talk about my arm, but I actually isn't THAT bad. Though the on-and-off pain and exhaustion is still enough to kill off any inspiration or will to draw or write...
I draw by using a bandage to eager the pressure, and that's probably my life-saver! So no worries there.

I'm not that good of an artist.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 04:35:22 pm by Lovux The Great » Report Spam   Logged

Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:51:36 pm »

I have. Multiple times. I've had my arm X-rayed and examined by like a trillion different doctors and everything seems to point in one direction; namly exhaustion and poor ergonomic circumstances, such as a too tight grip on my pencils and the like. I know it does sound bad when I talk about my arm, but I actually isn't THAT bad. Though the on-and-off pain and exhaustion is still enough to kill off any inspiration or will to draw or write...
I draw by using a bandage to eager the pressure, and that's probably my life-saver! So no worries there.

I'm not that good of an artist.

It kind of sounds like your getting carpel tunnel syndrom. That can actually be caused by overusing your hands.

I like the idea, but I agree with some other folks that 15's a bit much (I barely have 15 myself Lips Sealed). Maybe 5 posts. You could get that in a few hours.

15 posts will take at least a day or two. Which is either gonna drive new people away or cause them to spam bullshit.

A person could get 15 posts pretty easily I would think. A person could easily get that many posts in about 20 minutes or less. If they post in the off topic section they could get 15 posts in a few minutes. If it starts turning people away though I will definitely lower it though.

Sadly, yes.  Embarrassed I have had some problems with my right arm (the one I draw with), as it gets really achey and/or tired pretty easily. I've had it ever since spring last year. I let it rest for a while, but the stupid pain showed up again in late autumn. This state is still pretty awful though, as I'm currently enrolled to a comic art program in university, as I'm not able to put as much work into some works as I'd want to, and some things I can't even do at all. it also comes and goes in periods - some days I'm all fine and dandy, other days I have to eat painkillers. And when I actually feel good in my arm, I usually spend as much time as I can drawing, because that is the thing I love to do most in my life, so I don't have much powers left to do some fangirl rants here, even if I'd love to.  Undecided

That really sucks, especially since you are a artist.

The only good thing that comes from this arm problem is that I'm slowly but steadly turning ambidextrous - My leftie's WAY better maneuvering the computer mouse than my rightie ever was, and some of my classmates have commented on my (made only for teh lulz) leftie-scetchies that they can't tell the difference between them and my "normal" doodles, done by my right hand.  Shocked

Well if you can write with your non dominent hand then that really helps. I can't even write my name with my non dominent hand.
Report Spam   Logged

darkido

Peace<:

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 05:22:41 pm »

awww..i don't really wanna spam but oh well i'll go along with the rules:D
Report Spam   Logged
Kickthekitty

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 05:26:22 pm »

Non-staff can post here too, right?

So about 15 post.
I understand your point. But I also see problems with it...
This could easily lead for leeches to post only spam. And 15 spam post won't really contribute for forum in anyway.
Infact, in the worst case the leeches could start using same mirror site and not come to this forum at all.

Smaller amount of posts but with more quality would be more beneficial. It would require that leeches are somehow encouraged for non-spam post though. Perhaps you could make a friendly automated msg like "If you post spam outside spam thread, I will VENT you!"

Best choice would be a continueing posting requirement, I think. I mean people would be required to have posted once or twice during the last week to have download privilege.
This would encourage regular forum leeches to keep posting. And perhaps they might even post something else then just spam since they weren't posting it all at once.
Report Spam   Logged

Vent the North
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 05:44:16 pm »

Non-staff can post here too, right?

Yes, anyone can post here. I would have locked the thread if I didn't want others posting.

So about 15 post.
I understand your point. But I also see problems with it...
This could easily lead for leeches to post only spam. And 15 spam post won't really contribute for forum in anyway.
Infact, in the worst case the leeches could start using same mirror site and not come to this forum at all.

I was actually thinking of a punishment for people who decide to spam to get their post count up. As long as they are contributing posts with meaningful content I dont really care what they write otherwise. But if a member is just going to come into a thread and say "lol" or "Thats funny" or "This forum is great" or something along those lines and write nothing else but that then I will issue a punishment.
Smaller amount of posts but with more quality would be more beneficial. It would require that leeches are somehow encouraged for non-spam post though. Perhaps you could make a friendly automated msg like "If you post spam outside spam thread, I will VENT you!"

Read above, I actually have a few Ideas on how to deal with people who do that. And what do you mean by a automated message? I dont have the ability to make a pop up show up on their screen to say that, but I could write something out in the rules that would encourage people not to spam.

Best choice would be a continueing posting requirement, I think. I mean people would be required to have posted once or twice during the last week to have download privilege.
This would encourage regular forum leeches to keep posting. And perhaps they might even post something else then just spam since they weren't posting it all at once.

If I could do that then I would have done it a long time ago, but unfortunately, I dont have the kind of ability, or rather, this forum doesn't have that kind of option.

I could lower the post count rule down to five posts, and then keep making it so that the amount of posts you need goes up every week, but that would be a hassle that could potentially cause a bunch of problems.
Report Spam   Logged

Lin
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:48:39 pm »

That's a good point.  Adding that to the requirement could help keep people involved -- though it would mean more policing, because it might not be as easy to set it up to be automatic.  Maybe see how it goes with the 15 post requirement for starters, and see how people respond to it -- whether they spam a lot, or actually learn to participate.  You can always tighten things up later if it doesn't work in the way you want it to.  As for spam posts not counting towards the quota, if they are obviously spam for that purpose, they can just be deleted -- people will learn to post properly if they want their GB chapters!   Wink

I'm hopeful, though, that the rule will work well in helping folks get in the habit of posting, and then they'll be good to go.  Like me -- it seems like I just joined up and here I am, almost at 100 posts!   Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Kickthekitty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 05:59:52 pm »

If I could do that then I would have done it a long time ago, but unfortunately, I dont have the kind of ability, or rather, this forum doesn't have that kind of option.

I could lower the post count rule down to five posts, and then keep making it so that the amount of posts you need goes up every week, but that would be a hassle that could potentially cause a bunch of problems.

Could you instead drop ALL post counts to zero about twice in week, and have count rule to 1 or 2 posts?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: